Projects Next question re: covering material

Loopy

What is your favorite covering material that is self stick, heat shrink and paintable? :confused1:

(Ya wanna put it on fer me too):crosstheline:

RandyDSok

I know of nothing that has all of those features...

In the USA, the two top end coverings are Monokote and UltraCote. Both are iron on heat shrinkable coverings. They are not self sticking nor are they made to be painted. Granted they do make trim sheets that can be used to trim out a model, those do self stick but they are not heat shrinkable nor paintable either. The trim sheets are typically for decorative designs or quick repairs, they aren't made as the primary covering. After that, you have tissue coverings which again are not self stick, nor are they heat shrinkable but they are paintable.

On the two primary iron on coverings, you first stick them down using lower heat along the seams and edges, then you use higher heat to shrink them down. On the tissue coverings you use something to glue them down with types of dope paints ( typically without color ) and they shrink slightly as they dry.

I don't have a preference between the Monokote or the UltraCote... both are good quality products. The no name brand alternates vary in quality, some are ok and others are likely as good or durable. So if choosing a no name brand... check for reviews to see if they may be a good option.

Loopy

Well, I'll answer my own question. I found Oratex. It does all that I asked for, IF I want to pay the price!!!:eek:o_O

Top Bottom