Nickel plating on the cheap

bigone5500

Anyone here ever done any of this? I sometimes run into the situation where batteries corrode contacts in devices and for the most part I can get them fairly clean. However, in most situations, the nickel plating has been eroded and the contact will eventually rust.

Tony

Staff member
I have thought about it, but have never actually invested in the electroplating setup. I wanted to do it for anodizing, but it's about the same concept for plating (you have a source material rather than a standard conductor). But I do know your pain when batteries go bad and take the coating off the connectors lol. I usually just polish them, but we all know that doesn't last.

bigone5500

I'm really wondering what I need for the liquid. I think I need a DC current to connect to the source material and the part to be plated. Can I simply use distilled water and salt?

bigone5500

Oh wow! That stuff isn't cheap. I may have to just deal with dull terminals. However, after thinking about it, I have some dielectric grease that may keep it from happening again.

Tony

Staff member
lol, yea it's not cheap. But, it does last for a while. I checked out a couple videos, and it only takes a very small amount to plate something. Of course that is all relative to the size of the part you are plating.

Fly-n-Low

Yea, I hate it when batteries corrode up. I take some ammonia on a Q tip and that will neutralize the corrosion, then I wipe it with a Q tip with water to remove the ammonia and blow it dry with canned air. Put dielectric grease and it is usually fine.

Fly-n-Low

Ya know, I have to back up. Vinegar would probably be better since the battery leak is a base from what I read. Potassium carbonate or potassium hydroxide from what one article said.

Thinking back I scraped and cleaned up the contacts already. It seemed to take the oxidation off the metal pretty well. So I was mistaken when I said it would neutralize corrosion.. Maybe on a lead acid battery like we used to dump baking soda on.

Anyway I took an old flashlight a while back, cleaned it with ammonia and the springs and such almost looked new.

Pro_Stock

I just went back through my notes and discovered that I was playing around with tin and zinc plating onto aluminum, not nickel.
Maybe I'll look into this during the winter.

Top Bottom