Spektrum Older servos with new radios?

Billwoodward

Hi all, I really enjoy this site, the help y’all provide is just amazing! I hope to be able to help somewhere, not so much with the electronic side, as with mostly airplane builds. That’s my 50 year experiences.

I have a DX6i I was trying to learn, and a couple of weeks ago I sat with an experienced Spektrum friend and found out mine has some issues. I’ll send it in for service and repair and then on to some fun! I have 40 years worth of Rc radio equipment and I still use my 72 radios as the DX6i was my first contact with the other planet? My question is, once I get my transmitter back and start the conversion, can I still use my servos from the 80’s, 90’s and very early 2000’s. Or is the technology different and the new system isn’t capable of talking to the older servos?
thank you so much in advance, bill

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Howdy Bill and welcome to the forum. This is my :2c:. With the technology now a days and how quick they improve products, I wouldn't take any chances. Just purchase your self some new servos. The servos of todays are faster and lighter then they were 20 yrs +. If your budget allows you too, go ahead and gets some new electronics to go with your repaired TX.

Billwoodward

Howdy Bill and welcome to the forum. This is my :2c:. With the technology now a days and how quick they improve products, I wouldn't take any chances. Just purchase your self some new servos. The servos of todays are faster and lighter then they were 20 yrs +. If your budget allows you too, go ahead and gets some new electronics to go with your repaired TX.
Thanks DOG, sounds like the safest way. The last regular flying I did was in 03, then my parents took all the time until 09 and I flew a little in 13, but I’m free now. Thanks again! Bill

Admiral

Until recently I had a Kraft Servo from the late 60's, the last time it was used was in the 1990's in a sail plane, before I dumped it I tested it with an analogue servo tester and it still worked but the specs were dismal compared to today's servos. So I agree with D.O.G basically start again with up to date electrics.

Billwoodward

Until recently I had a Kraft Servo from the late 60's, the last time it was used was in the 1990's in a sail plane, before I dumped it I tested it with an analogue servo tester and it still worked but the specs were dismal compared to today's servos. So I agree with D.O.G basically start again with up to date electrics.
Thanks Admiral, point well received.

Smoggie

They will work when coupled to a modern receiver, but as the others point out servos have come a long way and modern ones will perform better.

Billwoodward

They will work when coupled to a modern receiver, but as the others point out servos have come a long way and modern ones will perform better.
Thanks Smoggie, I was looking at some of my 90’s and early 2000’s and they were rated at 42 oz in. I have some later HS-81’s that are half the size and rated the same?
I sure do appreciate the help from all of you. Now to get busy.

Top Bottom