Power loss

treff

Flying today on a small field near to the house with a 450. Took off, climbed to about 30feet, turn to do a pass
in front of me when Heli had sudden power loss. I heard the motor winding down. It came down quite rapidly. I gave full up near the ground, one skid struck
and then the motor kicked in again. Heli tipped over, broke the main blades and servo arm so not really to much damaged just annoyed that another pair
of good blades were a writeoff. I checked everything over and everything worked as it should so I am at a bit of a loss. I've checked all connections and plugs
and everything seems okay dokey. Loosing a bit of confidence in this one.

treff

No Kev, it was a complete power loss. The only thing I have found is that the battery plug is very loose when plugged into the escape
so I think it lost contact for a few moments. I very nearly got away with it. if the ground had been level it would have been a good auto lol.
Still not to much damage just annoyed about the main blades they were Align and only a couple of days old.

Slobberdog

What connectors you using then Treff, yeah bummer on the blades, I find them quite fragile, not happy after my 500 blades went into the ground on its maiden,

treff

Plugs are Deans XT60. I find they wear pretty loose after moderate use. Been trying inverted hovering but it's
like starting all over again all most. Put the heli in a few times lol and the sound when I'm pushing lots of
power in is quite different.

murankar

Staff member
If tour looking for a solid connector the ec3 style are real snug. Also if done right the standard deans t connectors work well also. Since i jumped to ec3 connectors i love em except one thing, they hold really well. Really hard to pull apart.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Derek

The plug was my initial thought, too. I had the same thing happen to me with my 450 when I first was trying the hover tests. I used the Deans plugs, as I have them on most everything else that I fly. I got my 450 off the ground and I could hear the motor pulsing...sort of. I was thinking it was a power loss, as well. I fully blamed the brand new YEP 45amp esc. I took the YEP off and bought a Castle ESC. After a bit of inspection, my solder job was less than satisfactory and all I could do was chuckle. I hooked up the YEP esc to one of my planes and tested it. Everything works just fine.

That all being said...I just about 20 sets of EC3 plugs and I'll be converting everything that has the Deans plugs over to the EC3 plugs.

treff

Thanks lads for the solid info. It happened again yesterday evening up about 30 40 feet and power cut. It not just the motor but everything, there's no control at all
on the sticks but again I was very, very, lucky came down dead straight but a little hard but remained up right this time and again motor kicked in near the ground to cushion
the fall. So it's an electrical strip down and have a close look at the wiring and connectors

murankar

Staff member
Check your solder joints. If it is anything it just might be the solder joints. Since its a total power loss i would check the battery connector first then move to the esc input leads. From there i would move back to the servo leads and make sure they are snug. If any of the servo leads in the rx are loose reseat them.

If the the latter is the case i would consider using shoe goo or hot glue to secure your leads into the rx. If you decide to go that route all you need is a tiny bit. Don't over do it.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Last edited:
Top Bottom