General Power Supply for Bench Work

NordCelt

I'm toying with the idea of getting a variable voltage power supply that allows setting a ceiling for max amp output to do bench work of RC components. Wondering if anyone else has done this and if they've found it useful. My idea is to hook servo's into a receiver on my work bench and do receiver setup and check proper function of servos etc before installation. Probably somewhat boils down to I'd like to get a new toy but I do think it would be useful to bench test components before installing them. Anyone else done this and found it useful?

SIXFOOTER

I have a couple battery chargers and power supplys laying around I use for that sort of thing. But, I have found the simplest method is to just use a battery connected through a switch and a HK multi function volt meter, works great

NordCelt

Don't you need to run a battery through a variable rheostat to lower the voltage down to what an ESC output would be? Keep in mind I'm somewhat new to the RC world so am still on the steep initial slope of the learning curve and may ask questions that show my ignorance.

Tony

Staff member
IT's nice to have a variable power supply. And you can get these things (30v 5a) for about $60. If I had the room, I would own about 5 of those things lmao.

NordCelt

Thanks, that's all I needed. One affirmative answer and now I'll order it. If I only heard negative answers I might have waited a day or two longer.

Tony

Staff member
The worse case, you have a power supply that you can regulate sitting at your house. And it will be there when you need it. But having the ability to get 5v, 12v or whatever you want to put into your Rx or gyro is something that I wish I had right about now lol.

Tony

Staff member
Oh I have a bunch of those here at the house as well as some server PSU's. Just need to make a lightweight box to put them in, add a display so I know how much is going out of them and get some rheostats for it. I think it would be easier to just buy one lmao. Fixing to not have a lot of time compared to what I have now.

Top Bottom