Product Review: OCDAY DP6 180w 16A Battery Charger

eber0206

Hi Tony. Sorry to report the following on my Pink OCDAY DP6:
I'm feeling down about my OcDay DP6 cause line 4 on a 4S balance charge is losing line 4 regulation in the unit. I swapped around the cells to see if the problem migrated but it stayed on line 4. The line monitor readout will say 3.665 volts or worse even though I measure 3.33 or so at the cell itself, and later the unit will 'balance fault' and no longer permit balance charging. I also disassembled the balance leads to the cells and relocated them to other other cells when I reordered the cell locations, but no change, the problem still remained on line 4 out of the DP6. Even if I can get the unit to run a balance cycle, it will either balance fault or never figure out how to finish up. The only way to get to a good charge point now is run Storage charge instead; so something is flaked out inside the DP6 and so that's why I'm down on this unit. Opening it up to look inside but not expecting many options. This unit is fairly unused so it's premature to flake out like this.

I've past training and industrial work as am electronic tech. I did some short analysis on the balance lines final section and report So far I have not found any anomalies between any resistor resistance values, diodes are good, and transistor forward and reverse bias resistance values are comparative for all the balance lines in the final output section. I'll need to Amazon me a cheap digital scope, been wanting one anyway whether or not it helps me on this... Some pictures of the circuit board section I examined will be linked here soon as possible

eber0206

If the banggood boys or other provider wants my misbehaving OCDAY DP6 for analysis, mostly it works, right? They can swap me a replacement if they want mine for analysis.

eber0206

Tony: So I went to Banggood.com and did a search for the OCDAY DP6 and there were no hits returned. What? So I did a Google search and found an URL to banggood.com for the OCDAY DP6 and sure enough, it's the old customer satisfaction reports and a listing to buy the unit. So I clicked the listing to buy and it produced an error 404 Page Not Found! Did they pull the product from their offerings?

Meanwhile, I fired up mu DP6 again and started a balance charge. Line 4 reported on the display as climbing up towards 3.956 volts and climbing!!! Yikes, but I was monitoring line 4 with the voltmeter and all was quiet and safe at 3.34 volts. I flipped over to find out how much current was flowing and the reading was 0.00 amps! About that time the fan came on and kept spinning up higher and higher, so I put my hand on the back cover and thought I felt some heat, so I turned it off. My next step is pulling the cover and retrying again, the old 'burn your finger' test to see if anything is really that hot. Wish I had a thermal imager here....I'll report thermal findings or not in my next post. It seems like the most sensible thing happening here, something is lying to the logic and displaying bad data, while no changes happen to the LiFePo4 battery pack (that's good, wouldn't want a cell at 3.9 volts or more no way!@#)

Tony

Staff member
This is the issue I heard about with the other member. He had one cell that was showing very high, but in all reality it was still correct when measured at the battery. This makes me think there is an issue with the program, and not the electronics. Now this only applies to the over voltage and not what you were experiencing. I sure wish there was an update to the firmware out there somewhere. But I have tried contacting my contact with OC Day and I have received no response.

Tony

Staff member
I do believe banggood has removed that charger from their inventory. I only dealt with the manufacturing company and never dealt with banggood. I will see if I can get some information from my contact with banggood though. But I have a feeling all they will know is that it is not in stock.

tntpoof

contacting ocday thru fb is a dead end.. they have not been on fb since 2015.. and no one has these chargers any more.. i removed some parts i wanted and trash this pos..went to this..so far great..RadioLink CB86 Plus 6A 210W Lipo Balance Charger Discharger

found a clone for $60 sorry no link... hay its only 6 amps but that's thru balance plug..good for those lower cells to get them up to voltage..

eber0206

I decided to fund developer Dacian Todea's (of Canada) Kickstarter 'Solar Balance Management System" (SBMS) for the SBMS40 unit being released in June 2017 at
Funding is not cheap ($201) but the SBMS40 is also nothing like it in the world; I can power it by solar panels on my sailboat charging my LiFePo4 batteries onboard, or test bench power supply if I bring my battery packs inside. Kinda overkill for RC applications...but everything I want for expeditionary cruising for weeks at a time away from civilization :>) And I can still use to charge RC packs if I want to.

eber0206

I won't be able to replace the OCDAY until developer Dacian ships in June, probably late June. I'm really looking forward to the Electrodacus SBMS40, I watched his entire 1 hour 17 minute video on the SBMS100 and was severely impressed at the scale and quality of his work. He is a master of his technology, and I'll consider writing an article here on it once I have some field experience with it.

eber0206

In case someone still wants an OCDAY DP6, they're no longer so inexpensive (except wholesale,) and it looks like they are manufactured and sold still on alibabaexpress.com (customer retail at Shop ocday dp6 online Gallery - Buy ocday dp6 for unbeatable low prices on AliExpress.com) and alibaba.com (wholesale at https://wholesaler.alibaba.com/product-detail/180W-16A-OCDAY-Battery-Charger-Synchronous_60311717631.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.AOXib8 ) by Shezhen Flyfun Technology.

I have written wholesale company representative "Jane" informing their company of the melting 40v 100 amp n-channel MOSFET problem. Hoping to hear back from Jane with-in 24 hours.

Tony

Staff member
@eber0206, Did you ever get a response back from them? I have been using my black DP6 to charge smaller packs such as those for my wireless mic system and it is still kicking strong. I put the red one on the truck with me and even with all of the bouncing around and horribly dirty power going to it it is still kicking as well.

Top Bottom