General Pushrod for FA-30 MkI

RandyDSok

Pushrod's aren't really made for any specific engine... they are typically custom made for the size and craft they are being used in. You get the types of ends you need for your situation and there are more than one way to make them. The ends can be made several ways including simple Z bends of just wire up to the metal clevis's that go on the end of a threaded rod. The rods between the ends can be simple square or round hardwood stock to carbon fiber to a long flexible tube ( typically in a sleeve ) to just the wire being used to create the Z bends out of. In all cases, they are all custom fit to the specific model being used on. Those are just a few of the options used to make a pushrod, the limits are only bound by your own imagination.

Where I'd start... is with what the original model had originally or had recommended if it was built from plans. If that is unknown, then you have to design one and just source the parts you'd need. Basic rule of thumb for a pushrod is to have them as straight as possible from servo to the control surface ( in this case your throttle arm on the engine ). The more curves and kinks in the pushrod, the more slop you'd see when trying to control the surface you are moving.

Ecklund

Randy,

thanks very much for your thoughtful reply.

I should have been more specific. I am looking for a replacement pushrod for a Saito FA-30 four stroke open rocker RC glow engine.

The pushrods on these early exposed rocker engines are easily removed and therefore lost. I purchased an FA-30 and it is missing one of its pushrods.

It may be possible for a good machinist to reproduce one that would work but it is beyond my capability.

RandyDSok

You may need to get more specific if they made more than one model of that size engine... If that is a Saito FA-30S ( H ) model engine... you will want to search for a SAI30S39 part number. I was unable to find it online at any good hobby shop at the moment.

More than likely it won't be in stock at any of the reliable vendors and you will have to wait on a special order. I saw it listed from around $7 up to about $12 on those types of hobby shop websites. I'd actually suggest calling them first before placing an order so you could get an approximate time of arrival. I also saw a listing on Amazon ( which I wouldn't trust, nor would I trust an eBay seller ) for about $36 and it stated it wouldn't make it until after Sept 1st. While there are reliable resellers on both Amazon and eBay, you just can't ever tell for certain, so be careful of those types of websites.

Ecklund

Oh... you may find this web page handy... It's in the UK but it lists all of the parts for the specific engine model I mentioned... which you could then use to do a search with... Saito FA-30S(H) Complete Parts Listing
Thanks for the link. I will certainly check it out.

As far as I can determine from the box and from what I read in forums this engine is a Saito FA-30 MkI. The box doesn't actually say MkI but apparently this designation is used to differentiate this model from the FA-30 MkII which has significant differences.

Both engines have exposed or uncovered pushrods and rockers. It appears parts for these early Saito four stroke engines, especially the pushrods, are difficult to find.

I have had some luck with an online vendor for the intake and exhaust for an FS-60 open rocker engine. But the pushrods seem to be the difficult part for that engine too.

RandyDSok

I didn't see any parts listings for either the MKI or MKII's ... that is still the direction I'd look in and if you find a listing, download and save it for any future reference. Once you get the part number, it will be much easier to find the part or at least somewhere that may be able to special order it.

I know with cars and trucks, just about anything older than 10 years old, makes it harder to find replacements ( at a fair price at least )... I'd assume its even worse with older RC parts.

Top Bottom