General R81 Receiver

MurryB

I just put a brand new radiomaster R81 receiver in my quad and it will not bind. Hold down bind button and plug battery in led blink one time and that is it. Help

RandyDSok

The R81 is a Frysky D8 compatible receiver so make sure your radio is setup for that or is compatible to that standard. While most radios use a single standard, several of the Radiomaster radios are multi-protocol but must be set to the standard that your receiver is made for. See your manuals for further instructions on your radio's compatibility etc.

MurryB

Radio is setup right. I have a mamba f722 fc. Receiver is wired direct to fc. I bough a Diatone roma Quad all I had to do was put receiver on it have tried 2 the spektrum 4650 and radiomaster R81. neither works the 4650 did bind but would not work in betaflight. I have NX8 radio and radiomaster TX12.

RandyDSok

I don't use any of this type of equpiment... So my comments will be for generic information I've read and other common causes I've seen or heard of only. That is in part of why I mentioned the protocol requirements earlier since you gave no additional information on what other equipment you were using so had no other direction to suggest first. In short, it was and still is the first place to look. Again, my suggestions will be for common areas that mistakes are often made in or things often overlooked if I know of them.

If you were able to bind the NX8 to the 4650 and then only were having problems with using betaflight... that indicates a problem in your betaflight setup itself, either wiring or settings in the software. I've seen a lot of users have problems that were simply from using an incorrect USB cable that was power only and didn't support data, so check that first for that configuration. Another software mistake is in the selection of the COM port being used must be the correct one in betaflight. This radio/receiver may be the best direction to get help troubleshooting since you are able to bind using that combination so have one less thing to diagnose.

Triple check your Radiomaster TX12 setup is actually correct. If so, check to see if they have released a firmware update and if so, update it ( I'd do this if available anytime on any radio ). If you do update the firmware, this will usually reset the settings and they will need to be reset once again. After that, try removing the connections to the flight controller and just give the receiver power and try binding again. This helps to eliminate possible wiring issues between the receiver and FC as a potential cause. If you still have problems binding, it's probably time to actually contact support for the receiver directly to see if they have any additional suggestions. When contacting support, tell them what your exact equipment is that you are working with, if you updated the firmware etc... and any things you've already done or tried to help speed the support process along so you don't get recommendstions that you may have already tried or done. A lot of support people are entry level employee's that will often respond with a default set of suggestions, even ones you have told them you've done... just be patient with them and reply accordingly stating the steps were performed ( even if you had told them already ). Of course, you could get lucky and get someone that does know what they are talking about the first time through, just don't assume it. Once, and IF it does start working and you get the binding to work... you still have to work through the Betaflight issues.

When setting up Betaflight connected to a PC running Windows...

Make sure your audio/speakers are on and turned up where you can hear them. Then, on Windows, when connecting a USB device with a proper USB data cable for setting up using Betaflight, Windows will make the USB connection sound ( by default, it's a 3 tone sound that is played ). This tells you that Windows has seen something connect but it doesn't tell you if it ( Windows ) was able to install the correct driver or not. You can check the Windows Device Manager and see if any of the devices show a ! in a yellow triangle or not. If you don't see that, the driver is likely correctly installed ( this isn't a guarantee, just a good indication ). I believe Betaflight will list a COM port connection for one of eight ports, COM1-COM8... unless this has changed and I didn't see it mentioned before but if it lists more, then you have more combinations to test. I'm uncertain if you have to close and reopen Betaflight after changing the COM port setting or not... assume you do even if it takes a little longer to test each port available.

At this point... I think I've mentioned everything I can think of but there are a lot of others here with more info concerning Betaflight etc.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Radio is setup right. I have a mamba f722 fc. Receiver is wired direct to fc. I bough a Diatone roma Quad all I had to do was put receiver on it have tried 2 the spektrum 4650 and radiomaster R81. neither works the 4650 did bind but would not work in betaflight. I have NX8 radio and radiomaster TX12.
Hey MurryB. If you have a RX that did bind check to see if your signal wire is soldered to PPM or S-bus. On my Diatone, great FC BTW had to solder my RX to S-bus instead of PPM for spectrum. I'm using SpectrumFPV racing serial RX 3.3V Autobind. Just taking a shot at it.

MurryB

The receiver is connected to the Rx1 pad on the FC and the red wire is to 5 volt Black wire to ground. I think the problem is in the receiver because (R81) when you plug battery in to do the bind the led only blinks one time it is supposed to stay blinking. the spektrum 4650 will bind I think at least it looks like it is. I have another 4650 I think i will wire it and see what happens. I don't think it is beta because i have novice Iv quad. when I connect it everything works fine and that is on the TX12. I was just wondering there are 2 push buttons on the Diatone fc and I have 3 blue leds and one red one. What are those push buttons for.

Last edited:

MurryB

What is bind button on FC for. what are you binding. I think when I try the other 4650 I will put the signal wire on TX1. And when that though hit me I am going to change the R81 and put it on TX1 just to see what happens. I just though that is not going to help. receiver is mess up.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
It's just another way to bind your TX to your RX on the FC. Defiantly try TX1. can't hurt. You might have to try different combinations in order to find out what works.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
No problem. That's what this site is for. To help each other out without hassles. The Mamba FC are good FC. It's just all this new stuff keeps coming out with different setups all the time. It's just finding out the right combination that works. We'll try our best to get you up and flying.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
OK then go into your TX and find where you can reverse and change the Aileron, I think that's the roll, whichever one it is reverse it.

MurryB

Anyboby here have an NX8 radio ? Went into beta everything works but motors. Had battery connected and sliders for motors worked but did not work with TX.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
You need to calibrate your ESC in the quad. You need to go into Betaflight motor menu. Then on the far right, there's a slide that you move to the right. Make sure no props are on. Once you slide that over, go to the motor tab and slide that all the way up. Then plug in your battery in wait for the musical sound to stop. Then slide the motor tab all the way down wait for the musical sound to finish and your ESC is done Calibrating. Hope that makes sense. As for the motors not working after calibrating disconnect everything and go through the process again.

Top Bottom