General RC Surface Vehicle Brakes

Derek

I have the wheels in my head turning, at a dangerous rate, once again.

I'm just wondering...how do disc brakes function on an rc car/truck? I've done some Google searches and I've found that there are actual brake discs and brake calipers. I've not seen anything on how they actually function.

Any thoughts?

EyeStation

Good Morning Derek. Crappy day for an outdoor flight around here, eh?
I know on the old nitro's there were two plates that would be supported by two pins that would mount around a disc on the motor shaft. these plates were drawn together by the same servo that was pushing the throttle linkage. A push forward on the throttle trigger would put your throttle servo in a negative motion and cause the plates to compress together around the moving plate.
But now I see these,
410774563_071.jpg
Now these look just like the hydraulic brakes of a real car, caliper and all. I am not sure what drives this pressure, but the smae pressure can be delivered to all four corners. I see Drift cars with similar looking brakes, but not sure how 'active' those are.

410774563_071.jpg

Derek

I was looking at some disc brake setups, only to find out that they are only cosmetic. lol. That does me no good. Thanks for the picture, above!.

I've heard about Cable Brakes on rc cars. Does anyone have any insight on this type of setup?

Tony

Staff member
They are just a cam actuated setup. The more you pull on it, the tighter it pinches the disk.

What are you wanting to put brakes on? If you can give me an idea, I can think of a better way to make it a reality.

Derek

I've been toying with the idea of building a steel tubed frame and roll cage and adding either a chainsaw engine or a gas powered weed eater engine and I am looking for ways to install a braking system.

Will I actually build this thing? I dunno. it's just one of those random thoughts that I have in my head.

Tony

Staff member
On a chain saw, there is a clutch and clutch bell where the chain rides around. You can use a brake pad to go around the clutch bell to stop the car. I'm sure I can come up with something to actually put a disk on the rear axle as well, but it would require a lot of thinking to get it all right. And I'm to the point where I just don't want to think anymore hahaha. But, I know I can come up with something if you get a definite idea of what you want. I have had this same thought. Might have to make it a reality.

Derek

Well....I bought a used chainsaw last year. it had no chain and no bar and the handle is busted, but the engine starts on the second pull....everytime. I have a welder, and "decent" welding skills. I've priced the 3/8" steel tubing and I'm still interested in this idea. I'd like to see a chain to drive the rear axle. I found a chain at work that was going to be tossed away. I asked for it, they allowed me to take it. I found a great deal on two sets of 6.5" tires that would suit a Tamiya truck/mudslinger.

...and on top of all of that...my brain just won't shut up about this....

Tony

Staff member
I can tell you this, you don't want to make it out of solid steel tubing. This thing will be very heavy if you do that.

Derek

Oh no no no....I'm not talking about steel rod...i'm talking about steel tubing...hollow. I've been looking at 1/2" and 3/8" tubing. I think the wall thickness was 1/16". I figured that would be more than acceptable, along with a bit of flat plate bracing, here and there.

Derek

I've done some unsuccessful searching for brake systems on nitro off road trucks, in hopes of seeing other pictures or text that shows how these brakes function. Does anyone else have any ideas on where I might look?

wolfman76

Hey Derek check out this guys videos on YouTube rcWizzard I found his 1/5th scale grave digger he built from scratch is exactly what you are wanting to do or real close.. I found the videos over a year ago in one of them he actually installs a disc brakes with hydraulic calipers. .. I know as soon as I have a garage i planned on getting a mig and tig welder and give it a go... Hope this helps... oh and the green caliper setup is real similar to what he used on his truck. .. also check out rcplanet.com and aliexpress.com they both sell kits I think.

Last edited:

Stambo

My son has a small Chinese quad bike that I have often looked at and thought, when he grows out of it there could be a candidate for RC conversion.
It has a cable operated disk setup on the rear that I am sure with a big enough servo and the right leverage system could be just what you want.
What ever you do, to stop something that size is gonna take a fairly hefty servo or some sort of linear actuator.

Last edited:

Derek

Yeah...I've got a lot to think about and I probably won't even start the build until I do get the brake system figured out.

What size are you thinking of?
Many mountain bikes have either hydraulic or cable disc brakes. You could use the calipers, but then you would still have to have a way of actuating the hydraulic cylinders.
Cable I was thinking would probably be the easiest.
Operated on a basic cam, when the lever is pulled, cam pushes pad onto rotor.
there are small disc brakes being added onto plane landing gear, you could sus them out as well. Air/hydraulic and electric I think.
There are a few around. Robart do some if you believe money is no option, but i'm sure it's a design that could be copied.

Derek

Hi there, Jon! Its funny that you mention bicycle caliper brakes. I thought of using that style of braking system, too. I think it would work pretty well. I also considering making my own calipers and using bicycle brake pads. Its a bit difficult to describe the idea that's in my head, lol.

Just had a quick look at HPI racing as I knew they did them on their 1/5scale buggies.
they use standard rotor, and then two rectangular shims, and pads to suit, haven't been able to get a close enough view of how they manage to get the pads to be actuated

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha well i'm usually all over my bicycle stuff!! lol
It's my first love and am always doing something on it, and hence what made me thought of it... my only concern on the bike side of things is the side. they are quite large compared to what you're wanting to build, but hell it would stop!! lol

Derek

i'd appreciate any help you could offer, Jon! Thank you! I think this will be a fun project.

Top Bottom