RealFlight 6 w/ Heli Mega Pack

Tony

Staff member
My wife is going to kill me. As you know, I purchased two trucks used, and they needed some parts, so I went to the LHS. While I was there, they had the RealFlight 6 sim setup on a computer, and I just had to have some fun with it. As I was looking through the models, I noticed they had my Edge 540T in there, and the characteristics of the plane are almost identical! However, there are some "crashes" that show nothing broke, but in reality, it would have broke.

The controller that comes with it is pretty slick. It's an 8 channel controller and you have two idle up settings (tri position switch). The flaps are on a rotary knob and I hate that, but when you want to fly the ospray or the Harrier, you have to have the knob to adjust the thrust or pitch of the engines. You can also either hit the reset button, or hold it to rewind your playback and try again for those perfect landings. There is also buttons on there so you don't have to use your mouse to select another model, flying site or other features. It also had adjustable sticks so you can set the height to where you want it. You can also assign the switches where ever you want to.

It does come with a cable to hook your JR, Spektrum, and other Tx to the sim. It's going to require a lot of setting up, including a channel just for realflight, to get it to work correctly. I will be doing this in the upcoming days.

I did purchase the one with the Helicopter mega pack and not the airplane, because lets face it, I'm a heli guy at heart lol. The bad thing is there is only one Align heli in the Mega Pack, and that is the 500. Yes, the old one. And it is a handfull to fly, but it very realistic.

I will be adding more and more to this as I go along and learn all of the different features. But all in all, WOW is it worth the money so far. It's far more realistic than Clearview, has better graphics than Phoenix and I think is the best sim out there if you have the money.

Stay tuned for more.

Lee

I'm considering putting parallels on my Mac and getting either RF or Phoenix??? Also for all the FBL setup Windows is needed.

Tony

Staff member
I just found the night scenes and wow, I'm loving this. Everything you fly will get something neon, and most helis that I have played with are fully decked out with lights. This is the most realistic sim I have ever gotten my hands on. Clearview, you can go hands off for a bit on any heli, not on this one.

RandyDSok

For $200 i hope its Real good :D Thats double the price of Phoenix.

Depends on if you price Phoenix with the transmitter or not...

I'm hearing excellent reviews on both RF6 and the beta of Phx4... from the sound of it... you can't do bad going in either direction.

Lee

I guess thats true. For me though travelling as i do, lugging around another TX just to use the sim is too much. I think i'll go for Phoenix V4 and a Sim stick. No more cables to trip over :D

Tony

Staff member
You can get this one with just the program as well I think. Don't quote me on that though lol.

RCD

Glencairn Drone
Both Sims are very nice, but I think Realflight is slightly better. On Phoenix, all the aircraft's seem to be too touchy. It gets annoying after a while. BTW Tony, have you tried out the online combat? It is a lot of fun. Especially with the P-51!

Tony

Staff member
I have not. There is an update that I need to install before I can do that. Do you have RF?

Tony

Staff member
I am finding more and more about this sim that I like. Not only are there training videos from beginner to advanced, but also you can practice everything from heli's to planes. You can also set the physics of the aircraft from beginner to intermediate, to realistic. I have to say, realistic is what I fly everything on, and it's a handfull in the beginning, but you get used to it.

I really like that you can use FPV from multiple angles and fly as far as you want. Just be warned, you will run out of fuel and battery if you don't change that setting lmao. Found that out the hard way hahaha

Tony

Staff member
On a side note, I should have gotten the plane pack lmao. I am having great times with the 3D planes. Afterall, that is all I own lmao. I'm getting much better at hovering and harriers. Knife edges are a sinch and hammer heads are coming. They are not as easy as you are thinking. You have to pivot the plane on the wing tip. Anymore than that, they deduct points for each wing length you are off lmao.

I will try to get some video of some flights if I can and post them up here. I love this sim but I think I said that lmao.

Tony

Staff member
Damn near a year since I updated this thread, I think it's time.

As you guys know, I received this sim, again, yesterday and installed it on my desktop as well as my lappy for here at the base. well, I have since learned how to perfect the DX8 when setting it up with this sim, but you do still have to use the other interlink controller which does suck. But, it's worth it with the way this sim feels when flying. IMO, this is EXACTLY how a real heli and plane feel in the air. Something that I can't say about Phoenix.

After learning how to setup the DX8 (yes, videos to come), I started trying to get my fingers back. I don't know what was holding me back, but I could never do funnels or hurricanes. The difference is the size of the circle I think lol. Well, after trying and trying, I finally figured it out, and the issue with me was I was not bringing the tail around fast enough and not using enough collective to keep it going and it will just fall out of the air. But, I finally got it.

The next thing that I started playing with were piro flips. Yeah, I know, I will NEVER do these in real life, but damn they are fun on the sim lol. I'm not talking about a half or slow flip, I'm talking about 6 revolutions per flip, very fast and very fun. Its all about timing and I'm starting to get the hang of it when it takes off and goes somewhere else and to bring it back while still flipping.

So all in all, RF6.5 is worth every penny. Because I now have both, and I have flown both just tonight, RF6.5 still wins out by a LOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGG shot. Graphics, physics, realism, it's all there in RF6.5.

If you are looking for the best sim out there, this is the one to get. And if I ever sell a sim, it will NOT be this one. But, I'm going to try my best to keep both of them so that I can fly with all of you guys on the weekends.

So after a year, there is the update of the RF6.5. Post questions and comments below and I will do my best to answer them.

Tony

Staff member
practice practice practice guys. That's all it takes. You just raise the nose up to about a 45º angle, add some aileron (depends on what way you want to go) adn pitch, and keep it in the funnel by holding a bit of rudder (again, depends on what way you are going). I do all of mine CCW and I can do them pretty well, but CW I still suck lmao. Working on that. But not tonight, didn't bring my Tx's.

Westy

LEGEND
wish I could get a copy that would work with a joystick...... ... have tried the keyboard trial .... it was not a good experience .... jerkey controls.... was not fun for me .... but I guess it would be if you could actually use a joystick or Tx ... Wish I could do Piros ..... only can do 1/2 piros

Tony

Staff member
Oh I"m no where near good at them yet. I can just barely get the heli to do the flips. Usually I will just do two flips (about 6 piros) and then stop and go do something else. Just takes practice and timing.

Westy

LEGEND
I am not sure when to begin it .... .get the tail spinning and then begin rotating the cyclic.... but when..... is the key .. tail in .... nose in ..... where do you start .... oclock and then begin stiring ?????

- - - Updated - - -

It feels to me ... like I am trying to do the double dutch .... but one hand it trying the something different to the other.... and then I have to work out when to jump in LOL

Tony

Staff member
i start it from a fast piro. Basically, start the piro, then start stirring the cyclic. If you are using right rudder, you will stir CCW and viceversa. I find it harder to do a slow one, but I'm still working on it. I'm good with a spin of about 500º/sec, but anything slower I just can't get to time out.

I guess you could also start the piro and the flip at the same time. Slow piro, slow stir, then gradually raise both. The biggest thing that I had a hard time with was making sure to stir evenly and keep a steady pace on the cyclic to match the heli.

Top Bottom