Reminiscing the old days of RC

LooseNut

I started fling with a Galloping Ghost, rudder only, Cox .049 powered Lil' Esquire built from the Midwest Plans with the help of my dad. That was in 1965. I don't have a pic of it, but I soloed on the plane that summer and flew it every time we went out to the club field.
Christmas of 1968 I got my first proportional system built by my dad and using the old Orbit servos, later updated to EK Logictrol Linear servos. We built my Full size Esquire that winter for the new Radio system and I flew the heck out of it.
The pic is me with my Christmas present.
Ed age 8.jpg

LooseNut

1st pic from a local paper in the late 80's doing a show for a local town celebration. A few of us made up a flight team for local Hobby shop to promote the hobby. The Dad and young gal in the photo were building their first plane to learn to fly.

2nd pic is finally getting my solo done. Geez! to feel that young again!

Attachments

• Dexter.jpg
    Dexter.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 298941_2176411842721_6924530_n.jpg
    298941_2176411842721_6924530_n.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 3

LooseNut

These are from a Mall Show when I was in ND in the early 80's.
The first one is a Smith Mini Plane. I redrew the Sig plan to 3/4=1" and flew it with an Enya .15. The Cowl was built by carving a plug, making a female mold and then laying up the glass cloth. Fun project.
The second plane is my own design for the beginner Pattern Class. K&B .40 4011 for power. Beautiful flying plane. The Fuse was a sheet of 1/32 ply wrapped over formers with bottom sheeting and hollowed block in the nose. Very easy to build. Covered and painted with Coverite and Coverite epoxies. 4-3/4 lbs ready to fly and it flew like it was on rails.

Attachments

• Mini n Mall.jpg
    Mini n Mall.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Transactor (2).jpg
    Transactor (2).jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 1

LooseNut

Airtronics Warlock 40 built from plans and covered with Coverite, painted with K&B Epoxies. Sported another K&B .40 4011. Great flying plane, 2 summers of fun and then a dumb stick doing rolls down the runway at 5 foot altitude. OOoops! Wasn't much left of it.

Attachments

• Warlock.jpg
    Warlock.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 0
Top Bottom