Reply Notifications

bigone5500

When I get an email notification of a reply, it only says that someone has replied to a thread I'm subscribed to. It would be nice if the emails contained the post or at least part of it. Is it possible to implement this feature?

Tony

Staff member
The main reason we don't include the post is for my sanity. if it stated the actual post or part of the post, people just hit reply and instead of posting in the thread, they would just send me an email. I don't mind emails, but when you are getting 20+ a day and each one you are having to say "please post in the thread linked in the email", it gets old after a while. I am about to edit the new email though from this forum to include "DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL, REPLY IN THE THREAD" at the top of it because it still happens, even though there is no info in the email. On the old software though, it was much worse.

Tony

Staff member
If I can find a way to turn off replies, maybe from a no-reply@rch address that bounces back emails to the sender, then I will turn that feature back on. But that brings up another issue and that is, the email address is linked with the contact email address on the site. So it would bounce those back as well. There has to be a way. I'm looking...

bigone5500

Maybe an email such as a no-reply that will simply accumulate the replies and delete them after a couple days so-as not to fill the mail server. Users will simply have to deal with not getting a response. Include a disclaimer that the mailbox is unmonitored and replies will not be read.

Tony

Staff member
That is where another issue comes into play. A no-reply@ email address is more likely to land in someones spam folder and/or be reported as spam. It also has about 5x the rate of unsubscribes over another email address. I'm still thinking about it.

Top Bottom