Reset Aruba switch

bigone5500

Anyone know how to factory reset an Aruba 2530 switch? It was discarded at work and has their setup on it. I don't know the login but if it can be reset then it may be of some use.

Tony

Staff member
Wow I missed this one. I did a quick search and it says "Using pointed objects, simultaneously press both the Reset and Clear buttons on the front of the switch. Continue to press the Clear button while releasing the Reset button. When the Self Test LED begins to flash, release the Clear button.". I'm pretty sure there is a redundancy built into these though that you will still need the login information to change anything. But worth a shot, especially for free.

I need to get back to playing with this stuff. I miss it (sometimes) lol.

bigone5500

I have tried the reset trick. I wish I could erase the login info. I was told by the IT guy that you can't. But there must be a way, a backdoor of sorts.

Tony

Staff member
If there is a way, you would need to access the flash memory and erase it, then load new memory. However this can be a bit dangerous as if you screw up as I did, and erase both primary and secondary, the switch is now used for parts. Which worked out for me when the POE board smoked on my switch and I had an extra lol. But that is about the only way I would know on erasing previous creds. And you would have to do a full setup again.

Tony

Staff member
Can you advise on how to log into the switch? What program is needed?
You will need a console cable and a program like PuTTY to access the CLI. Beyond that, you would just need to try to locate some posts on what commands to input to get to where you need to go. Most systems are very similar to Cisco so the commands are very similar if you have played with them. My Brocade switches are similar, but do have some weird little hitches you have to work around. It's fun to play with though.

bigone5500

So this aruba 2530-8G model J9774A has a USB console port on front. Anyone know how to utilize that to access the switch? I have putty on my computer and can't for the life of my figure out what to input to make it connect.

bigone5500

I decided not to mess with the previous switch and will try to get this Aruba 2930F JL255A working.

So... Any ideas?

bigone5500

I took the Aruba switch to work and the IT guy said they were good to go. And come to find out, I have to have a console cable to connect to these. He also told me that when I hold the buttons down on the front to reset it that the passwords are removed too. So now I have a 24 port and 8 port PoE switch to play around with.

Tony

Staff member
Dude, NICE. Were you able to get a console cable? Setting these things up, that is the most important tool to have.

bigone5500

The two switches I will use are the Aruba 2530-8G J9774A and Aruba 2930F JL255A. The first has 8 Gigabit PoE ports with 2 SFP+ ports and the latter has 24 Gb PoE ports with 4 SFP+. I'll have to sit down and learn how to make these do what I want but the IT guy said they are good to go like they are. I can use them as 'dumb' switches. I'd like to get a NAS setup and play around with that on my PoE security system.

Tony

Staff member
The Aruba 2930F JL255A, as I'm sure you know, is a layer 3 switch. This is the same as my Brocade and when learning, can cause some heavy confusion when trying to set them up. I would play around with the Aruba 2530-8G J9774A first, learn what it can do and what commands do what, and have a ton of fun, then play with the other one and see what you can do with the routing capabilities of it. Layer 3 switches are super powerful and can either teach you how it works, or teach you how to troubleshoot lol

Top Bottom