RF 7.5 upgrade disc not recognized on desk top?

Chrisk7

I just bought the new RF 7.5 upgrade disc to upgrade my RF 6.
It works just fine on my laptop but when I put the disc in my desktop computer its acting like and telling me there is no disc in the CD ROM drive.
I checked the drive with another disc and it seems to be operating OK but for some reason I can't figure out how to get it to see the RF 7.5 disc to install it.

I've spend hours searching for the answer and used a few of the Microsoft diagnostic programs suggested but still nothing.

I've got a Windows 10 Home system with AMD A8-6500 APU with Radeon HD graphics 3.50 GHz
8 G RAM
64 bit operating system

Any ideas?

Tony

Staff member
Try opening the case on the computer and unplugging the power and SATA connector and plugging them back in.

Stambo

Are the laptop and the desktop on the same network?
If so you can map the laptop CD ROM drive on the laptop to your desktop and try that way.
The desktop drive may have a problem reading the disk, some disk writes are better than others.

RandyDSok

Couple of things on this...

First... and always... clean the drive that is having problems reading the disk. Any CD or DVD cleaner disk should work and blowing it out with compressed air can also help in many cases.

Note, that CD's and DVD's use different laser lights to work... so testing with a CD won't mean the DVD will also work.

Speaking of CD and DVD differences.... a CD only drive... will not read a DVD. ( I'm assuming thie doesn't really apply, but I'm including it anyway just in case )

Good brands of 5 1/4" DVD Burner internal drives only cost $25 or less ( usually under $20 ). External USB type DVD drives can also be had for just a little more if that maybe of more use for other stuff.

Chrisk7

Thanks guy's for the tips. I'm still trying to figure out how to network them together. They are right next to each other on my desk but I'm not the sharpest pencil in town when it comes to computers.
I tried coping the files from the RF disc to my external hard drive as well as my laptop. I then copied them to my desktop but when I try to use or open the exe file to download and install the RF program it still asks to insert the disc which doesn't work.
I tried my older versions of the RF programs and they work fine on the desktop. Just can't imagine why this 7.5 works fine on my laptop but not the desktop.

I guess I need to figure out how to network the two computers together over the wireless modem.
Or is there some cable I can use between the laptop and the desktop?

Tony

Staff member
Click on start, then click on the little folder icon on the left. In the left column scroll down to network and click that. That will open up all computers on your network in the right column. If you do not see anything, then you may be on a public network (so your computer thinks) and you should setup a homegroup for each computer in your house. Once you have all computers on the network, right click each drive you want to share and click on Share This Drive. Once you have done that, return to your other computer, double click on the computer you want to click on and navigate to the drive where realflight is located. Now, right click on that drive and select Map Network Drive. This will put an icon under your drives on the computer you are working on.

Both computers will have to be on, but this is how to map a network drive. Quite honestly though, I would check into purchasing a new DVD drive. You never know what other disk is not going to work.

RandyDSok

Networking is networking whether you are using a cable to connect the two computer or doing it wirelessly.

The way you setup of a network also differs between different OS or OS versions.... If they are both Windows based... You start by setting them both up to use the same Workgroup name, then setup a shared folder or drive ( in this case the DVD drive I guess since you didn't say if it was a CD or DVD drive ). Certain versions of Windows also may require other settings such as user permissions etc... but they will depend on which version each system is using. Apple/Mac uses completely different methods that I'm only briefly familiar with, so typically I don't go there.

RandyDSok

Tony... Homegroups didn't start until Windows 7 came out... Workgroups however have been around since Windows 3.1 ( and NT )

Tony

Staff member
Workgroup, Homegroup, you know what i mean.

And he is running on Windows 10, just an FYI. I'm not sure what his other computer is on but anyone running anything under 7 is way out dated lol.

Stambo

Networking is very dependant on what operating systems you are running.
It can sometimes be a bit of a nightmare when you think everything is set up right but it still does not seem to work because of something simple you missed.

RandyDSok

Workgroup, Homegroup, you know what i mean.

And he is running on Windows 10, just an FYI. I'm not sure what his other computer is on but anyone running anything under 7 is way out dated lol.

I'll grant you that most folks are probably running Win7 or newer... and I run Win10 on 3 systems... I've got Win7 setup on a VM on one of those...

But since computers are what I do for a living... I have to deal with everything DOS or Windows based for the clients I see. I've got an AutoCAD user that is still running Windows 98SE ( in fact, I just built him a new computer the end of last year and installed a new license for W98SE on it for him ), a lawyer running Windows 3.11 ( so he can use his WordPerfect 5.1 DOS version on it ) and even a CPA accountant who is using one computer running DOS 4.x ( not networked on this one )...

In short... I have to take into account a lot of different versions of Windows. Knowing how to setup Workgroups makes them all be able to network together ( as long as you recall how to setup each version ) but they all can't use Homegroups since it's relatively a new thing that MS started using.

Top Bottom