General Runcam Split Issues

Tony

Staff member
I'm sitting here working on FrankenQuad and I cannot find the backup file I made of the flight controller. More on that in another thread. What I really wanted to do is head outside and get some video from this runcam split.

For those that have not heard of the Split, it is an FPV camera but it also records in 1080P and saves it to an onboard card. I have tested this before just inside my office, but never outside. So, since I can't find the backup file of the flight controller from the testing I did on the bench, I decided to toss some props on FrankenQuad and head outside.

It was quite windy outside today. 20-25mph winds with higher gusts but I don't care, I have to fly something! I put it on the ground, check to make sure it is recording, and boom, we are in the air. And holy hell is this thing touchy! But again, more on that in another thread. Possibly with the video (or lack thereof).

I took the quad up and was flying it around when it came down and crashed upside down. I flipped it over, checked the goggles, all is well, so I do some LOS flying. I head back to my chair and put the goggles on and start to fly, and the video is frozen from right after I took off after that crash. Okay, I reset it, got it recording again and flew some more.

It kept killing the recording, and the video kept freezing up. No idea why. If any of you have had this issue, let me know!

Tony

Staff member
This is starting to feel like the BA Forum...

I changed the power input to another tab on the board. Unfortunately, this tab has a pulled up trace. But, it will now record for one minute. I read through all of the documentation and there is no setting for this when you have loop recording turned OFF which I do. If you turn on loop recording, you can set it for 1, 3 and 5 minute clips. I have not tested this yet but as stated, I have loop recording turned off. This is getting frustrating.

Tony

Staff member
Well, I figured out my issue with it not recording correctly and locking up.

I have a Class 10 card UHS-1 card to use in a secondary camera. This card should be good for 104Mbps transfer rate. It is a 64GB card and in the little GoPro style cameras, it works great! But in this camera at 1080P 60FPS it is just not enough. I tried everything I could think of and nothing was working.

I decided to take my SanDisk card out of my good camera and stick it in this board just to see what would happen. Worst case, it would rule out the card as the issue. This is a $200 card, 64GB Class 10 UHS-3 which is capable of 624Mbps transfer rate. I popped it in, plugged in the quad, waited for everything to power up (no props on!) and I hit the record button. The blue light started flashing as it always did and now, it was time to watch some youtube while it ran.

I let it go for about 12 minutes and watched a couple videos and hit the record button to stop the recording. With the old card, it would have broke this up into about 24 separate files about 30 seconds long each, IF it didn't completely freeze up the board and camera. So I put the card in my reader and plugged it into my computer. I opened up the folder it was in and there was only one file :yahoo:

But none of this matters if the video was frozen most of the time, which has happened. So I play the video and low and behold, it is one continuous video the way it should be. So apparently the data transfer rate just wasn't enough to keep up with what the board was putting out.

I needed to get some video of this quad flying with this camera, but there is no way I'm going to risk losing a $200 card if I crash this quad, so I FINALLY installed the little shield that has a retaining clip for the card. Pro Tip! DO NOT push the card in to release it without holding up on the clip that retains it. Because once it is released, it is under spring pressure wanting to get out and once you lift that tab, it will shoot out right into your face!!! Ask me how I know.... lmao.

So it appears I need to invest in some more UHS-3 cards. I used to have 2, but once died in the Mobius when the Runner 250 flipped upside down and powered into the ground at full throttle. It broke a coil in the camera and sent voltage into the card that fried it. That is my theory anyway. But, the camera works great, the picture is great, both of those are for the HD. Await the video for what I think about the SD video...

Top Bottom