Trucks SC/Offroad How to

Hey Tony,
Maybe something we could look at, and I might be able to have a crack at eventually, but maybe we should put up some how-to information on setting up your RC car...
I know i'm know looking at the way to set up my SC truck for bashing and then again for racing/jumping etc.
As I do mine, and change bits, and look after bits, I'll try and post vids and pics.
But some set up hints and stuff would be nice... I'm just as new to this as I am to helicopters, so I may not be the most informative person, but maybe bumbling my way through it will help others later on.
Will post as I do my car as well.

Tony

Staff member
The one thing that I will say about setting up a car, it's 10x harder than setting up a helicopter or airplane. There are just so many variables to look at. From shock oil weight, to springs, to suspension geometry, to battery placement, the list is endless looking for that perfect setup that usually changes from heat to heat. For bashing, just stick with the stock setup. If you are hittting a lot of bit jumps, then go up 10lbs on your oil and to up 2 steps on your springs.

As for doing videos and such, it's going ot be hard to do without a track. There is a track I can go to, but unless I"m racing the track is not setup and is VERY dry and slick. so doign a setup video on that is impossible. That is unless they took the dirt out and put clay down, then it would be more of a blue groove track which means it's almost asphalt lol.

If I can get my hands on something Iwill do the videos. But, I just don't see me getting back into racing.

I'm happy to have a go... There is a track near me that I'd like to go down and start having a go at, as well as maybe racing down the track... but meeting up with the guys at the club and working on it with them, and getting set up tips etc...
I know it's not easy for the reasons you said... hey just a thought, and am happy to take on advice and have a go at putting my own videos together, I'm just not good at the editing side of things hahaha

Tony

Staff member
The best thing you can do, now that I know you have a track that you can go to, is ask the others what setup they are running. There should be someone there with a setup sheet that they can copy for you that will have all of their settings on it. This is pretty much amateur racing, so people should be pretty forthcoming with the information to help a new guy out. I know that at my track, all you had to do was ask. Now if we were racing a NORCCA Nationals race, then no one would help with setup other than your team mate lol.

Go in and ask what they are running and they will be able to get you really close on your setup. Listen to them and you will have your vehicle dialed in.

Sweet thanks Tony. I plan on doing that, and keen to learn more about this whole set up, and what changing suspension angles and stuff does

Tony

Staff member
Remember this and it will help you out most of all. When you put a vehicle into a turn, the body is going ot roll. As it does, you need to set your camber so that you have 0º of camber when you are in a max turn. This will put the most tread on the ground as possible giving you the max amount of grip. Each track is different, and that is where the whole spring/oil thing will come in. If it's a soft track with little bite, you will run a softer setup so that you can still lean into the turn. If it's a high traction track, then you can run a stiffer suspension setup and carry a LOT of speed through the turn.

Just have fun with it and keep playing. Just talking about it makes me want to get an SC truck and start playing again. lol. Damn you!!!

I went for a spin in the back yard last night and was chasing the huskies with it, I couldn't believe how quick it was, how much crap it picked up and how much I have to learn how to control the thing again!! hahaha
I know i'm going to have fun, just need to get out to that track and have a go, and will probably throw it in the disco when I head out bush for weekends away, and just create havoc when I go away!!
I can see the addiction in it, but like most things, it's addictive if you have the "right" places to play with it.
I have a soccer field behind me, but that would get boring, but I have a few mountain bike trails I know near me, and they will be cool!
Need to get me a little camera

Diederik

Until you have done a set of vids, search for Squirrel on youtube, he has an excellent series on setting up a car properly, it is about 15 vids or so. Just as a matter of interest, in the savage we use normal 15w 50 engine oil, works great for minedump type riding, minedumps, are jumps, straights, hillclimbss, basically everything you can imagine al thrown into one.

wolfman76

yeah i seen squirrels videos he even has couple videos i think showing you how to paint a clear lexan body also also on you tube check out djmedic2008 he has alot of informative videos on there too..

Sweet thanks guys!! I plan on checking lots of youtube vidoes and forums and also down at the club when I can make it down there...
It's going to be fun and a learning curve!! Can't wait!!

Tony

Staff member
Here is an idea, and I'm just throwing this out there. Check out THIS forum to help you out lmao. You know we will :biggrin1:

Oh i'm doing that already Tony!! You've already given me ideas and help, its just for the videos, which I'd like to do a few of them myself and get them on here and hopefully help the next person who asks the questions i'm asking!
Running an eye over it, I don't think it should be too hard to work on, but it will be things like the difs etc that will be interesting when I get to it

Tony

Staff member
The diff's can be challenging to build and setup correctly. If they are gear diff's, then they are cake. But if they are ball diffs, then you have to get your spring pressure just right. Too much and it's too much like a spool. Too little and you will slip so much it will burn up. You will get it though, just take yoru time.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, takes a little time, but after you build your 20th one, you will have it down pat lol.

I'll be having my turn to pull it apart strip it down, and all the normal stuff... check for wear and tear etc.... All the fun things that happen when you get involved in RC :)

Top Bottom