Skis install and tire removal on Eflite Maule 7m

DHolmes

Hello, has anyone put dubro skis on their Eflite Maule 7M? Not sure how to get the tires off of the landing gear..

DHolmes

Thanks for the pdf file. I actually have the manual, which is the same as your .pdf file. Unfortunately it doesn't show how to remove the wheels from the landing gear. It just shows how to install the landing gear.

Admiral

Here is a video that should help,it shows that you don't remove the wheels from the landing gear, but the pontoons should come with their two sets of supports of their own.

RandyDSok

Sorry about that... but assumed based on your subject line that you were just trying to take off the landing gear to install the floats which wouldn't require removal of the wheels separately from the complete gear assembly.

Looking at the spare parts page on the wheels... they are held on by "C" clips ( also called E clips by some people ). Typical C clip removal would be to spread the ends of the clip and then slide them off of the rod they are attached too. Please note they are prone to springing across the room when you do that. Without actually seeing the wheels, I can only talk about doing it in a general sense

RandyDSok

Ok... I'm going to make some guess's on how the wheels are secured based on the video that Keith posted... you'll have to actually look closely yourself to see if I'm guessing correctly or not.

It appears the landing gear itself first has a collar mounted on it, most of these will be retained using a small allen or hex grub screw but it should not need to be removed to get to the wheels if I'm guessing correctly... it's just there to keep the wheels from rubbing against the landing gear wire itself. This is where I'm guessing the most, I think the c clip ( or e clip ) is under the hub cap on the outside of the wheel. If correct, you should be able to pop the hubs off and get at the c clip ( e clip ) from there. I'd suspect getting a set of needlenose into the hub area where I think the clip is will be close to impossible... if so, you'll need to use a small flat bladed screwdriver to remove the clip with. Just remember that the clips like to fly off, so try to block that from happening with your hand or something else that can catch it.

Admiral

I think that you need to use the pontoon struts they are a different shape and probably length to the wheeled U/C struts, if you didn't get two in the box you need to contact the supplier and get another one.

pontoon.jpg

DHolmes

I think that you need to use the pontoon struts they are a different shape and probably length to the wheeled U/C struts, if you didn't get two in the box you need to contact the supplier and get another one.

View attachment 23331
I didnt think of trying to use the pontoon struts. I'll give it a try and see. If not, I will just use the pontoons for the snow. Thanks Admiral

DHolmes

Ok... I'm going to make some guess's on how the wheels are secured based on the video that Keith posted... you'll have to actually look closely yourself to see if I'm guessing correctly or not.

It appears the landing gear itself first has a collar mounted on it, most of these will be retained using a small allen or hex grub screw but it should not need to be removed to get to the wheels if I'm guessing correctly... it's just there to keep the wheels from rubbing against the landing gear wire itself. This is where I'm guessing the most, I think the c clip ( or e clip ) is under the hub cap on the outside of the wheel. If correct, you should be able to pop the hubs off and get at the c clip ( e clip ) from there. I'd suspect getting a set of needlenose into the hub area where I think the clip is will be close to impossible... if so, you'll need to use a small flat bladed screwdriver to remove the clip with. Just remember that the clips like to fly off, so try to block that from happening with your hand or something else that can catch it.
You are correct Randy on all the above. I have tried to pry the hub cap off with a screw driver with no luck. Of course, I don't want to break the hub cap either. I think I will try using a pontoon struts, and if that doesn't work, I'll just use the pontoons for flying off the snow. Thanks for your advice and help..

RandyDSok

While I do think what I suggested makes sense... you should still keep in mind it is just a guess ... I just hope it is either right, or at the least something in that direction and can be of some use.

Top Bottom