450 Slowly getting there

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Morning everyone, just wanted to keep you up to date on my progress. Had to make some modifications all around but it's coming together. Thought a 3" section of plastic tubing was enough but added another 3" section to make the fit and that worked perfectly :peaceful:. And don't worry I saturated all joints with JB Weld letting it harden over night. The fuselage went from 33" to now 38" which is more realistic in scale. Put a blade on to main rotor to see how much distance is between it and the tail rotor. And eureka! now thinking about those 360mm blades down the road. But first will try the blades pictured before in earlier photo. The added tail section with the extended boom made Hulk Jr. tail heavy but that's fine. In the 2nd photo of the open spots between the side of the fuselage and fin, will insert a piece of styrofoam. Both the top and bottom of the fuselage are held in place with wood. The 2 batteries installed will balance the bird out. Yesterday I ordered from ebay a "parallel battery connector" that will run the batteries in series to the ESC. The piano wire had plan for a spring inside the landing gear housing will now be used to make a tail servo push rod. It's strong and flexible for the job. Rackman has also been involved in looking to see if there's a spring small enough for the landing gear housing. I appreciate his assistance in this fun quest :peaceful:. A teachable moment I learn is scratch building not only is it time consuming, but requires a lot of thoughtful planning. Must also be able to think outside the box and have patience. Best regards, Jim

Attachments

• 20220915_143306_resized_1.jpg
    20220915_143306_resized_1.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220916_092219_resized_1.jpg
    20220916_092219_resized_1.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom