Still waiting to fly, but I got a new gadget.

murankar

Staff member
As some of you are aware my heli is down due to a bad servo. I have been waiting for the cash for the new servos. At this time I still dont have the servos to complete the repair. I have resigned to the fact that it may not go back in the air till after winter which really sucks but it is what it is. Anyhow I have been sitting on my paypal account now for a month or so and got the itch to get something. I mean it was bad, i was looking at micro/nano quads, tools and even micro helis. I finally got to looking at a Soko Heli tool. With that being out of my budget by about $10 bucks I started looking at other digital levels. I really like how you can set the entire heli up with just a level. I also want to build a leveling table since I have the spare wood in the garage and all I would need to get is the things to make the surface level.

So what is it that I finally got set on. Well it is the RC Logger digital Level 2. I was not able to get the complete kit since it was even more than the Soko Tool. So I opted for just the level and the blade attachment. I looked a ebay and did some googling to see if I could get the entire kit used or cheaper than retail. A main has right now the entire kit as a scratch and dent for $78 which is still over budget. I ordered my level from heli direct since I have been using them for most of the purchases for the Gaui.

Anyhiw by the end of the week I should have the new level and will be ready for the rebuild once I get the new servos. I will chat with the wife in hopes to accuiring the stuff at tax time. I might even attempt to get the PowerLabs PL6 at the same time. Then I will have to complete the power source project also, that only needs the wires and connectors to complete. Anyhow thats all that is new as of right now.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
The soko is a great tool. CPO (started his hobby here at RCH) from everything cpo on youtube did a setup with said tool.
With the level table that cpo maid will also help in the setup.

My goal is to do basically the same setup ease but with a different level. Most of the soko tool is methodology. You can see this in most soko setup videos.

How does the RC logger achieve this setup methodology? Well it has a threaded whole that will accept the blade retaining bolt and attach below the blade grip. If that's not good for a pilot then there is a magnet that can be used to attach to the same bolt but on top.

The rest is understanding how to do the setup. I think that will be easier than it appears.

Once I get the rest of the needed parts I'll test this theory.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Slobberdog

cant fault either of these tools they are both very good, personally I liked the soko tool as it has the base plate to go in all grip sizes,

I set up the swash on my old 450 last night through the vbar software and it took only a few mins and it was super easy, oh and now no need to remove the head at any stage, and the soko app when it comes out at the end of the month will make it an even easier job,

Yes Uri, the methodology will be the same for both, but as I said above I liked the fitment, but either way it is a whole lot easier to do when you get used to it

murankar

Staff member
Yes the tray adds a level of simplicity.

I have received the level today and have looked at it some. I have noticed a few things that can make it a suitable alternative to the soko with two exceptions. First is the tray the second is the cost if you consider the entire RC logger kit. One advantage to the RC logger if you get the full kit. It has the ability to adjust the pitch of the tail blades.

Some other things to look at is the fact that all the pieces to the complete kit can not be bought individually at this time. I have not done a complete search to verify this but the RC logger web site does not offer any such option. If I could I would get one or two extras, the tail blade adapter and maybe the swash level attachment.

Why the swash level attachment? Well it simplifies the process. With the gauge being able to give tilt left and right it also give fore and aft with a touch of a button. This will eliminate the need to do each linkage point.

So far I have used the magnet just to test the strength. Upon initial test it appears to hold just fine. I used it on the blade grip and stopper button. With the stopper button it will allows you to set the main shaft as your reference point, the better option over the motor. One can use the motor but it may not result in a swash being level to the main shaft.

At this point I am still thinking about doing a complete start over.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Slobberdog

As I said the Soko you just put in one blade grip and do it all from there, level the shaft then level the swash, to setting collective and cyclic, you don't have to move it from that one grip,

It is very simple, and believe me I like simple,

You will love the accuracy the RC Logger will give you, it's surprising

Graham Lawrie

As I said the Soko you just put in one blade grip and do it all from there, level the shaft then level the swash, to setting collective and cyclic, you don't have to move it from that one grip,

It is very simple, and believe me I like simple,

You will love the accuracy the RC Logger will give you, it's surprising

Seen it in action on my 600 :) brilliant tool, soon i will get one, but surprised no one has come out with a similar copy?

murankar

Staff member
As for a replica or something similar, it would be really hard to create something that's not in likeness to the soko kit. As for alternitives, any pitch guage that can mount to the blade grip and has absolute zero and relitive zero can be used in the same fashion. So far I have used my rc logger pitch gauge 2 to level the main shaft. All I had to do is set the numbers to absolute and then magnet the gauge to the blade grip bolt. Worked like a charm. Once I get the servos then I can go and level the swash and set pitch. Untill then have fun flying.

Top Bottom