General Stubby Antenna

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Jared. I haven't use them but the dBi is only 1.6. which to me is low. You should look for something like 2.0 or higher on the dBi. Just my thoughts. I'm using short antennas for my 180 and long for my 210 but my dBi is 3.0 Aomway Short 5.8GHz 4-Cloverleaf Antenna with Protection Cover (SMA) (RHCP)

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Just remember you don't want it to short. You don't really want the Rx antenna taller then your FPV antenna. Just my 2 cents.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there Jared. I'm not sure if you still having problems tuning your PID on your quad but here's a video that might help. This guy help me out

Tony

Staff member
Jared, find a way to secure your antenna to the frame. This will take the stress off of the VTX when you crash.

Bardwell, knows his stuff..... That's all I have to say about that. I can't watch him...

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I secured my VTX by using hot glue on it. Works well where I have it connected IMG_4377.JPG

Tony

Staff member
I was talking about the coax wire of the antenna itself. Secure that and a crash will only bend the antenna and not put stress on the VTX. Just hot gluing the antenna socket where it meets the VTX is not going to do much for strength in a good crash. I will try to show some examples on tonights live stream on twitch. (ahem, www.Twitch.tv/RcHelpDotCom! You all should join in!!!)

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yeah I have pretty much glue everthing on the VTX from the wire to where the antenna connects to the VTX. With all the crashing I do, lol, I broke it all. So all is glued now...in and out :) IMG_4379.JPG What time will you be on twitch tonight Tony?

bigone5500

I usually use 3M mounting tape for this stuff. I had to pry and use an xacto to remove the vtx so I could work on it. That stuff is super strong. This little dipole antenna is simply a plastic sleeve where the main wire runs out the back and keeps it safe. Is it ok to just mount the wire itself to the frame? I was thinking a couple layers of heat shrink then a wire tie or two. I'll post a photo.

20190707_142311.jpg

bigone5500

I was talking about the coax wire of the antenna itself. Secure that and a crash will only bend the antenna and not put stress on the VTX.
I assume my last post is what you are talking about here??? Remove the plastic housing?

bigone5500

For those who may be wondering, here is what the tip of it looks like. The metal 'can' is soldered to the shielding.

15625277620816513045298761765962.jpg

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I'm sorry. I miss understood you. I don't even bother with those antenna. I pretty much throw them away when they come with any of my VTX I order.

bigone5500

I would throw this one away but it's all I got for now. I'm going to order a couple RHCP (not red hot chili peppers) for these two quads. I'm probably gonna get another vtx for a spare too. At the claimed 600 mW $10 ain't bad!

I'd like to have a flexible silicone type antenna but the floppiness would probably put it in the props.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, Dipole antennas are all but useless on a quad. They do work, but once you bank the quad right left forward or backwards, you are no longer straight up and down and your signal is degraded. Circular polarized is the way to go and you can get antennas quite cheap now days. I think you can get a pair for about $5 that is pretty good. I'm running all cheap antennas on my quad. Just make sure you pair them correctly. If you get RHCP, then stick with it. If you get LHCP, you will get some signal, but it's going to suck! so pick one and stick with it. RH is most popular.

Ivan, I will go live around 8PM your time tonight.

bigone5500

That's a good deal but I need rpsma connection. I really need to start trying to standardize which connector I use.

bigone5500

So until I can get a new antenna will removing the plastic housing from the dipole and heat shrinking a wire tie to it be ok? I'm thinking maybe sticking straight up is best.

Tony

Staff member
You can remove it, it's not going to make any difference to signal quality. And you want it leaned slightly backwards so that when you are in FF, it is sticking straight up.

Top Bottom