Trucks T Maxx slipper gear suggestions wanted

tmaxxdad

I have an older tmaxx 2.5 that recently seized up,so we installed a 3.3 exchange motor and aligned gears perfectly so that on a tiny strip of foil passed thru them and made a perfect accordion. Ran 4 tanks thru new motor break in and the fifth tank you can use full power,stripped out spur gear? We did find a small rock that dropped out of that area ,not sure if stock did the damage or what caused it. What is suggested at this point . Metal gear? Just wanted to see what the norm would be and what I can do to make it dependable. Thanks for all and any suggestions

Tony

Staff member
the first thing that I want to say is, do not use the paper or foil to set your gear mesh. It's not accurate and I will almost bet money your mesh was too tight and actually started melting the gear until it just couldn't take the heat. You want 1/10mm gap in the teeth of the gears, and the only way you can do this is to hold the clutch bell with one hand, and rock the spur with the other. There should be a very small gap all the way around the spur gear. Check it, spin it about 3-4 teeth (on the spur) then check it again, and keep doing this until you are all the way around.

the next thing I would do is loosen up your slipper 1/8th turn at a time. When you are at a stop and hit full throttle, the slipper should allow the spur to slip for about 3-5'. After that, it should lock up and the tires should spin. If it's just slipping, then tighten it. If it's spinning the tires off the line, then back it off.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom