Trucks T-maxx with no radio. Help please

TheCause

So I have a Traxxas T-maxx that was my dads before he passed but ever since then its been sitting in the shed gathering bugs and other crud to it so im trying the strip the whole thing down and rebuild it and replace parts as needed. I don't wanna sell it because it means a lot to me, the only problem i have besides it sitting for 11 years is i don't have the original radio for it anymore and its a bummer that its long gone, but the question. Is there radio that you guys would recommend? my price range is anywhere from $80-$200. i really don't know much when it comes to radios so im not sure which brands are good and which to stay away from, also when purchased a new radio are the hard to install/set-up?

thanks
Tommy

Tony

Staff member
There are hundreds of Tx out there to choose from. Be glad that you no longer have the stock Tx because it's either 27Mhz or 72Mhz and both of them have interference issues like crazy. I remember those days and they were horrible. The 2.4Ghz tech that is out now is MUCH better and there are no crystals to change out so that you can your friends can play. Now, you just turn the Tx on, and it finds an open frequency. With the frequency hopping that the new ones have, if your channel starts to get crowded, it will change the channel automatically without you even knowing.

Below is a link to Spektrum's website and their surface Tx's. You can go as cheap as about $150 and the sky is the limit. My Tx that I use for my planes and helis is $430 and it's worth every penny as others will attest to here on teh forum. But for surface, the DX3 and DX4 are great Tx. With what you are doing, the DX3 will work best IMO. The third channel can be used for the reverse that the truck has if it still works.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/browse/productgrid/surine-accesos-10001022

If you can spend the extra cash, get one with Telemetry. You will need to keep an eye on the temp of teh engine and with telemetry, you can do just that. It can also watch teh RPM of the engine and the voltage of the Rx pack in the truck.

As for setup, I have never set one of these up (I was an Airtronics M8 guy when I raced cars and trucks) but I'm sure it's not that difficult at all. Bind the tx to the Rx, set yoru servo positions and end points, and have fun with it.

However, in the link above, you can also purchase the stock 27Mhz Tx that the truck more than likely came with. Yes it's much easier to setup, but I don't trust them much anymore with the new tech.

As stated in the other thread, just post up if you have questions and I will do my best to answer them.

TheCause

Okay, so i think im gonna go with the DX3S but the thing now is for the telemetry what reciever should i get? i was doing research online and people say not all receivers will work with telemetry and also i seen that one person talks about telemetry sensors? is that something else i would have to buy?

Also I really appreciate the help from you guys.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I think yes to all the above. I'm not sure if a dx3s is a telemetry tx. Though.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I just looked and I see that it is. Lol you'll have to buy a RX to go with that one though.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I think you should just get a cheep tx and drive the truck. You can get a laser hear gun from tractor supply for $35.00 and use it to check head temps. That's what I do. Then if you really want to get into the hobby buy a new truck with everything included! You get it all a lot cheeper than getting them piece by piece! If you know what I mean. A new tx and RX 2.4, will do you just fine till your ready to up grade.

TheCause

that sounds like the better choice in my opinion as well. i think ill do what you said Breeze and wait to upgrade to another truck in the future. once again thanks for the help.

- - - Updated - - -

Dont know how to update but any radio i get i have to get a receiver unless it comes with one correct?

Tony

Staff member
Sounds like you are heading in the correct direction. Getting a spektrum Tx that will allow multiple models will allow you to have more than one vehicle and just one Tx. All you have to buy is the Rx's.

Tony

Staff member
I forgot to add that with a 3ch Tx from spektrum, you possibly will have a funny way of putting the truck into reverse. I'm not sure of this, but on my old M8, I had a dial that I had to turn to move the 3rd channel. On the stock traxxas Tx, you have the switch right there at your thumb. Just another option to throw at ya lmao. Let me know if I can help any further.

TheCause

ah okay i it would probably help if it would be easy. thanks i will for sure! and also thanks for the help.

TheCause

I got a question. what tools do you use to take the bolts off your T-maxx wheels? like what brand or certain kind do you use? My socket wrench wont fit into the bolt when trying to take the wheel out because the socket is to thick in diameter to fit into the wheel. if that makes sense?

Tony

Staff member
Are you using the stock wheels? I just used an 11/32" (I think...) nut driver from Craftsman. It was a tight fit, but it worked. You may need to get a thin wall socket to get into some of the aftermarket wheels. I know I had to.

TheCause

yeah im using stock wheels. ah okay, ill have to go to my local hardware store to find a thin wall socket. it was such a pain for me to get the wheels off and is gonna be impossible to put back on unless i get a thin wall socket.

Tony

Staff member
Another thing you can do is to grind down an old socket that you dont' care about. Just make sure to not go all the way though the metal though. Been there lol. Doesn't work that great.

Top Bottom