General Tail repair

bigone5500

I tried flying the other day and the heli didn't handle so well. I sat it down on an uneven surface and in doin so the tail rotor control slider was damaged. I ordered another part and it's ready for another try. I'll check my rates and make sure they aren't too sluggish.

20221101_175220.jpg

Rackman

bummer Bud,,, never expected to see you have moment like that was really hoping for you to have a good one .. well glad to see you have the parts on hand to get it up and going again & the next flight will be a better one... I myself am not that great of a pilot so i never mess with the Rates.. but do enjoy the hobby.. Good Luck on your next flight.. :arms::thumbsup:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I was never a fan of the plastics tail unit but that's just me. Good luck with the next flight.

Tony

Staff member
I have no idea... What is that?
Chinese weight mod is the larger, heavier tail blade grips that help to stabilize the tail. With the balls on each side, that does the same thing adding weight to the tail blades making it harder for the tail to move (grips).

bigone5500

Chinese weight mod is the larger, heavier tail blade grips that help to stabilize the tail. With the balls on each side, that does the same thing adding weight to the tail blades making it harder for the tail to move (grips).

So I have been thinking about this. The added weight adds centrifugal force (mass) to do what? Make it less twitchy?

Rackman

Hey bigone5500.. did a little hunting around & found this picture..I'm assuming that this is what Tony was talking about when he mentioned Chinese weight mod....? Never seen this done to a tail rotor before. Interesting though

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221106_215454.jpg
    Screenshot_20221106_215454.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1

Tony

Staff member
Correct. Below is a picture of the 450 tail blade grips from Tarot where they started adding more metal to the grips that not only add weight, kind of like the weight mod, but it does something else that will get into here in a bit.

chinese-weight-mod.PNG

Rackman

Oh ok I think I can see where your going with it now .gives it more of a tuning ability..well hope on on the right track..lol..

Tony

Staff member
First thing we need to think about with a tail setup is when you try to pitch the blades to rotate the helicopter is that air is going to want to try to force the blades back straight. Kind of like trying to move a boat paddle in the water. If you have the skinny side going into the flow of water, there is little resistance and you can quite easily hold it. If you then start to put pitch on the paddle, it gets harder and harder to hold the paddle in the same position. This is the same struggle that a servo has when trying to move the tail blades.

Insert the chinese weight mod. The added weight adds centrifugal force to the tail and it also creates it's own drag, which when paired together, help the blade turn in the air, making it easier for the tail servo to control the tail.

Then there is the picture above. This, although less weight, has a flatter surface which catches more air to assist in keeping the blades where they were told to go. Less stress on the servo.

Granted, this is not a lot of force for a 450 size helicopter, and you don't see it on any of the larger helicopters, and all in all it is a mildly pointless mod, but the theory behind it is sound and does work. Just not enough to really matter. Kind of like the KFM Airfoil..... Yea, we won't get into that here lol

Top Bottom