General The new 1/2 Streaker

Dick Russ

Hello to our RC world of modelers. I just wanted to let you know that after 46 years I have decided to offer the 1/2A Streaker kit I designed and sold back in 1975. It was designed around the COX .049 and .051 engine (I have been told it is a great flying model with a 120W motor as well). The model (kit) has a balsa fuselage with a foam wing. Back on the 70's it was a great 1/2 racer. With the standard 35 inch wingspan it is joy to fly as a sport planeStreaker Kit Box & Label.JPGStreaker top shot 2.JPG. The flying weight is around 19 ounces. The kit is complete with everyting you need to build the plane. If you would like information regarding the plane drop me a email to dickathometwo@yahoo.com.

RandyDSok

Hi Dick...

Nice looking little plane you have there. I'm a bit curious about what size prop you recommend using those engines?

The reason I ask is that with an electric motor, on 2s while you may get away with a 7-8" prop ( with a high kv motor ) a 8-10" is more likely with a lower kv... or with a 3s you are likely in the 6-8" range unless using a higher kv motor which would be overkill for this size/weight of plane. Prop size has always been the sticking point going from IC to electric due to landing gear clearances.

PS... Welcome to the forum. :)

Dick Russ

Hi Dick...

Nice looking little plane you have there. I'm a bit curious about what size prop you recommend using those engines?

The reason I ask is that with an electric motor, on 2s while you may get away with a 7-8" prop ( with a high kv motor ) a 8-10" is more likely with a lower kv... or with a 3s you are likely in the 6-8" range unless using a higher kv motor which would be overkill for this size/weight of plane. Prop size has always been the sticking point going from IC to electric due to landing gear clearances.

PS... Welcome to the forum. :)

Good morning. I suggest the 5-3 or 5.5-4
Thank you.
Dick

Dick Russ

I think the cool factor is off the hook. Looks like a Reno air racer.

Do you have one flying? 3 or 4S would be a boss!
Good morning. I have been flying the first 2021 production kit plane. Back in 1975 when we first sold the Streaker kits we had several hundred flying (assumed; since we sold overt 200 kits). Fortunatey I saw many Streakers flying in the LA area by 1/2A racing flyers. My partner Paul Imresek and I had three that we were flying in the races with the shorter wingspan. I had one that I flew just for fun with the 35 inch wing span. The one I'm flying now is with the 35 inch wing. It is just fun to hand launch since our field is grass. If I had a paved runway it would be easier just to sit it down and let it takeoff by itself. A lot of the kits were bought as sail planes (no engine) for the slope flyers. Hopefully more RC modelers will enjoy building and flying the Streaker.

RandyDSok

It is just fun to hand launch since our field is grass.

Westside RC? .... Just guessing based on where you your address shows... My Dad was a member there for many years until he felt he'd gotten too old to fly safely. Funny part is he still kept building for years until he ran out of room to store them... lol. If I remember correctly, I flew for the first time on their 10th Street field with my Dad helping teach me.

Dick Russ

Good morning. Tell your Dad that I'm, 83, still building and flying RC models and now even re-introducing a kit I manufactured in 1975. Tell him also flying is like riding a bicycle. once done you never forget how, just maybe a little slower. Incourage him to give it a try again maybe with a slow model like a J3 cup or similar.
Thanks anyway for the note.
Dick

Top Bottom