Videos The Video Tony Has Been Waiting For...

bigone5500

...I finally found a perfect place to practice FPV. It's our local fairgrounds. I don't know why I haven't thought of that before. I strapped on my SJCam and got after it. I left the quad in horizon mode for the duration of the flight to get used to it and did not get a chance to go into acro. After two packs I lost video signal and don't know what happened. I also learned that the camera mount for the SJCam is a POS. I hit the pavement just right and the camera slid right off the frame. Next time I'll insert the camera from the rear so-as to keep the forward motion from dislocating it (I really hate the mount but it's all I got.). The wind was a little gusty and after watching the video I noticed that I have what I think are oscillations really bad. I hear it's from incorrect PIDs. I'll have to figure out how to adjust them. At this time I'm waiting on youtube to process it. I will post back here later with the link.

Tony

Staff member
To me, it sounds like your P gain is a little too low. Has some pretty good hunting going on if you listen to it. Especially after you took off the third time. If your motors were not hot (and ESC's for that matter), then check your prop balance. Either you have some props out of balance, or your D gain is too high. If your motors/ESC's are not hot, then it's a balance issue.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Jared. Can I suggest something to you. Don't be afraid to crash and hurt the quad. You will crash but the quad is pretty tough. I crash very well and hard lol. I would suggest a little more height and speed. The slower you go the harder the quad is to fly. You want some good forward momentum. At the same time, you want some more height so you can give your self and quad some room to maneuver and you a chance to react. Your flying so low to the ground, when you react to the quad response, you already hit the ground. Speed is your friend. Keep that quad moving at a good clip. You have a better chance on controlling that quad at a good clip vs a slow pace. Just my 2 cent. Hope it makes sense and helps.

bigone5500

Thanks Ivan. The only thing with that area is the power lines. There is another spot next to that lot that doesn't have as many. I will go there maybe tomorrow. I need to adjust my PIDs before hand though. Heck, I can adjust them while I'm there.

I'll post my PIDs and you all can suggest new values. But first and foremost is figuring out why I lost FPV video.

Tony

Staff member
Is this an X quad or an H quad? If it is a true X (front to back motor spacing is the same as right to left spacing), then your pitch and roll numbers should be the same. You have a pretty large gap in there.

And I go up 5 points on the P until I get oscillations, then I back it down by 1 each time. Takes a while, but it will lock in. If it is over shooting, raise the I gain. Then finally, use a little D to fine tune it, but don't use too much.

bigone5500

It's really more of an H style. Not a true X. My other quad is an X. I'll post a photo of it from top down. The reason I say H style is the arms are not inli e with each other.

20190705_205111.jpg

Tony

Staff member
The arms don't mean anything, it's the spacing. H is longer than it is wide, X is perfectly square.

Tony

Staff member
6mm is not that much, I would equalize the P number and watch if you get an oscillation and on which axis.

bigone5500

Just got my camera out and noticed something bad... Although I had the camera in the waterproof housing the crash it suffered which knocked it from the quad caused the frame of it to become distorted. Luckily the camera still works fine but is a little bent. I will no longer use this one.

20190706_093626.jpg 20190706_093611.jpg

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
You might want to invest a mobius or a runcam action camera Jared. They seem to handle punishment very well. My opinion, since I have both, I like the runcam because the video quality is awesome and it has WiFi so a friend can watch in FPV also while you fly using a phone or laptop.

Top Bottom