Trucks Tmaxx help

Tank Brown

Hey tony I recently contacted you over youtube about a tmaxx trade but unfortenutly you sold it but yes please help me I cannot get it started no matter what I put the carb on its like its its wants to start because I have gotten to the point where the motor will start puffing up and once it even blew fire out of the exhaust pipe like a car I was amazed but I would really like to get it started so please help Zamain Brown

Tony

Staff member
First thing you need to check is your glow plug. Just because it's glowing doesn't mean that it's working the way it should. What you don't see in my videos is the 3 days that I was fighting my truck to get it started and keep it running. I have some of this on video, but not all of it. so I would purchase a new glow plug.

second thing I would do is check to make sure your EZ start is working and sending about 1.5vDC to the glow plug when you have the button pressed. If you are using a glow stick, make sure it's charged.

Third, set the engine back to factory specs and go 1 hour leaner to start. This means the idle, low and high needles.

Once you get all of that done and tested, let me know how it goes.

Oh, and thanks for joining up on the forum. Once you get this puppy running it will be a blast to drive. How long have you had it and have you had it running before? If so, how many tanks are through it without replacing the glow plug?

:welcome1:

Tank Brown

Thank for the info tony I have had it for about eight years and I have only changed the glow plugs about five times but at the same time my parents got a divorce so out of those eight years I have only messed with it for about four of those years so its has been sitting for a while

Tony

Staff member
Suckage about the parents. And you are getting some good life out of the glow plugs. Try replacing it and let us know how it goes. If it doesn't help solve the issue, we will look a little farther.

Tank Brown

Yea the glow plug didnt really help its is still at the point where the engine is still puffing up but it does that in stages like it will do it once and like 15 seconds later it will do it again

- - - Updated - - -

And its on the factory settings

Tony

Staff member
Hm, okay. What kind of compression does the engine have? When you spin the flywheel (counter clockwise when facing the front of the block) do you feel the engine "kick" around teh compression, or do you feel the compression bleed off very quickly? If you didn't run any afterrun oil in the engine after shutting it off last time, the methanol may have attracted some water out of the air and damaged the piston and sleeve. The sleeve may have rusted causing it to score when you tried to start it as well.

After you check the compression, put a volt meter on the glow plug wire. Positive on the wire, negative on the block and spin the engine over. You should have 1.5vDC or so. Let me know.

Tank Brown

Its funny u say that tony cause just today I watched ur engine rebuild video to learn how to take the piston and sleeve out and as surprised as I was both the piston and sleeve were in great condition the piston rod fell under its own weight like u said it was suposed to do but I really don't get how its not workin because I have only two major crashes with ir that why I put all integy parts on it the compression is iffy its doesn't kick but it still pops I took my engine completly apart down to the base and cleaned everything it looks factory knew know but its STILL WON'T START but ima try what u said

Ricky Minaya

I have a tmaxx and for a while I couldn't get it started, so took apart the engine and I also switched the ez start to a pull start and got a glow igniter, this saved me some weight and also made starting it very consistent, I have a o.s. lc4 medium glow plug in both my trx 3.3, and my trx 2.5, there no other plug I would recommend for these engines, they work great even when I hold the throttle for to long. But for starting it try to give the throttle trim some adjustment to open the carb is open just a tad, also try to clean your air filter it may be to dirty to suck air threw

Tony

Staff member
Okay great. even a little "pop" when you spin it over is good enough to run. This tells me that you may not be getting any fuel into the engine. If you have a dropper, put two drops of fuel in the carb (at WOT) and lower the throttle again then try to start it again. Only a couple times. If no start, put a couple more and so on. If it starts and runs for a second, you know there is a clog somewhere or a hole in the fuel line.

Make sure when you do this you have the wheels off the ground. If it starts, it's going to go lean and it will want to take off. If it does that, then take the carb off the engine and pull it apart. It's pretty easy if you have never done it. The high speed needle will unscrew releasing the nipple for the fuel line. then remove the throttle adjustment screw or back it out by about 6 turns and you should be able to pull the barrel of the carb out. From there, brake cleaner is your friend, use it well to clean everything and blow everything out.

Once that is done, Take an air blower and blow air through the fuel line back into the tank. If the filter in the tank is clogged, this should release some of it so it will start again.

After all of that is done and you have the carb back together and on the engine and the fuel line hooked back up, DON'T PRIME IT WITH THE BUTTON! Put your finger over the carb and try to start it. You should see fuel racing from the tank to the carb. If you don't, then either there is still a clog, or the engine is not creating enough vacuum to pull the fuel into the engine.

Also, make sure your pressure line going from the muffler to the tank is open and free. If you watch my videos, I did a 2 coil loop for both the supply and pressure, but took it off later when I was having issues. This coil is GOOD and you should do it if you have extra fuel line. It will reduce the pulses from the muffler as well as give you more fuel for more run time when you flip it over and have to go get it.

If all of that is good, it's pulling fuel into the carb and it's still not starting, I may just be out of ideas lmao. But I will not give up, we will get it running.

Tank Brown

Alright tony were getting somwhere its puffing alot more almost wanting to start but the im looking for is knowhere to be found lmao

- - - Updated - - -

Alright tony were getting somwhere its puffing alot more almost wanting to start but the im looking for is knowhere to be found lmao

Tank Brown

Yea ima do that tomorrow its 11:44 where I am

- - - Updated - - -

But first ur probably gonna have to tell me how to post vids lmao in still new here

Tony

Staff member
Just upload them to youtube, then click the Share button under the video and post the link in this thread. The forum will embed it for you.

Tank Brown

Sorry tony unfortunutly I just striped my cooling head on my tmaxx so the only way I can make the video is to hold the glow plug into its place I have already ordered a new one off of ebay so I gotta wait three days to make the video srry

wolfman76

hey is all good tank tony will get you going and about the head crap happens what ya gonna do... lol i really got a tmaxx 3.3 myself been wanting one for awhile

Tony

Staff member
So you are saying that you stripped out the head button where the glow plug goes in? That really sucks, and anyone that has done this for a while, has done it lol. hope you get it back together quickly. Can't wait to see this thing bashing around.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, everyone has done that unfortunately. But without stripping it out, you don't know just how tight you can go lol. Hope to see it soon.

Top Bottom