Trucks Tmaxx Transmission Troubles

thisoldtmaxx

Greetings!

I bought a t maxx 3.3 from the Craigslist that had some driveline issues. Ended up being a snapped primary shaft. (5393) noted there was some play in the bearing bore in the case sides. Didn’t think it was an issue, but f if I know. After replacing the shaft, got it running and shortly (maybe a tank of run time) the shaft snapped again. This time it also exploded a bearing, making me think it was a binding issue not an abuse issue, and that the bore maybe a larger contributor to the issue then first guessed. So on this replacing, I put some threadlock as a kind of shim for the bearings. When it’s nice again I’ll see If that holds up.

The tmaxx came with a rdlogics transmission case.

So I guess my question is, what’s a good good source for a transmission case? And are ceramic bearings worth the cost?

I’m not too rough it, mainly just pull a rope and a ball for the dog.

thanks !
Chris

those are pictures of the snapped rods and the last transmission repair.

Tony

Staff member
Only time I have seen a primary shaft snap like this is if the slipper was way too tight and there was a lot of load put onto the transmission, or if there was binding somewhere in the drivetrain, or both.

thisoldtmaxx

Seems right. The slipper I didn’t note when I originally took it apart, but it was loose for the second go.

Any thoughts on who to get a case from?

also found your forum via your YouTube channel. That was riddled with useful information and also from if, I think, you watch Ave. A lot of overlapping vocabulary

chris

thisoldtmaxx

Hey d.o.g.

thanks for the suggestion! I may of phrased the question poorly however. Looking for manufacture suggestions on the transmission case halves. The one it current has is a rdlogics. Should I get another of those or is integy a better option? Lol or are those beginner bait companies and I should get an oem case?

here are shots of the questionable bore

thanks for your time
Chris

Tony

Staff member
I honestly would get an OEM case, the plastic one. They have some give to them and you know, since they are injection molded, they will be spot on as far as geometry goes. That is where I would start to rule out the case. If you are still breaking shafts, if you have a properly set slipper, I'm not sure where I would go next.

Tony

Staff member
Booooooooooo!!! Hoping it all gets here soon so that you can narrow down the issues.

thisoldtmaxx

Well after about... forever... it’s in One piece again. Charging up the batteries (for the starter and receiver, not the one pictured) See how fast it breaks now. Fingers crossed

Top Bottom