Trucks Traxxas tmaxx .15 / 2.5 / 3.3?

George_DC2

Greetings to all. I am practically new to the hobby and I have a question and that is which motor to use in my traxxas tmaxx (classic). A month ago I bought the truck second-hand and it was in pretty bad condition but little by little I have put it in better condition. the .15 engine runs but I think it needs new piston and sleeve. that they recommend. change piston or sleeve or step upgrade to 2.5 or 3.3? if upgrade, which engine would you recommend? Thanks a lot.

Tony

Staff member
I would go with the 2.5 if it were mine. I did that rebuild on the .15, but it's just not enough power for this heavy truck. If you go 3.3, then you will need to look at upgrading drive shafts and transmission internals to handle the increase in torque.

Just remember, you will need a new engine mount if you go to a bigger engine.

And swap your LR and RF, it's bugging my OCD.... lol

George_DC2

Thanks for your reply.
To make the swap to 2.5 I don't need to change any other part?
I saw all your videos on this topic and they were very helpful.

I did not understand what you mean by your comment at the end :/

Last edited:

George_DC2

Another question that arises is this: I remove the carburetor to clean it and change the 0 Rings but the package I buy has 7 rings and in the diagram only 6 to use appear. I also noticed that the HSN had that blue ring in that place but I don't see any function in that place. If anyone knows, please, please.C9CDACD9-D6C1-44A8-B7A8-3E1DF40A007C.jpeg5795EC60-3422-49C8-85BB-D0B73CD72F11.jpeg2232C87E-159D-4929-AFDF-C46AE185FCFF.jpeg

Tony

Staff member
What I meant by the last comment in my first post is, the tires are not going the same direction. The left rear tire needs to be on the right front, and the right front tire needs to be on the left rear.

And yes, you will need to swap the engine mount, and the muffler will likely sit in a different spot, so may have to fab up a wire to hold it.

Fly-n-Low

You using a Traxxas engine? If so, the 3.3 is a beast, but it uses the same rod as the 2.5 and will eventually fail from fatigue . That is from what I have read. I haven't popped mine yet.

George_DC2

What I meant by the last comment in my first post is, the tires are not going the same direction. The left rear tire needs to be on the right front, and the right front tire needs to be on the left rear.

And yes, you will need to swap the engine mount, and the muffler will likely sit in a different spot, so may have to fab up a wire to hold it.

I'll see then that it is more profitable for me. Thank you.

I hadn't noticed the rubbers that I put them wrong lol I also don't plan to use it for quite some time. Thank you.

George_DC2

You using a Traxxas engine? If so, the 3.3 is a beast, but it uses the same rod as the 2.5 and will eventually fail from fatigue . That is from what I have read. I haven't popped mine yet.
yes,I use the factory traxxas engine. You are right, the 3.3 is a beast for that reason I am undecided whether to swap to 2.5 or from step to 3.3 although I already know that I have to change several additional components and that is equivalent to more $$$

Top Bottom