450 Trex 450 se v2

kelwillie

Hey guys new to the site so please excuse me if I am rehasing an old subject. I am wanting to turn the trex se v2 heli into flb, so far I bought a Tarot flb and a DFC swashplate. !st question can I use the old main shaft. 2nd I was wondering about a gyro for it. I dont plan on doing 3d, just fly then maybe scale fuselage. I would greatly appreciate any help. By the way the heli has an old futaba gyro on it

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
:welcome1:to the site. Changing your bird to FBL will mean changing the main shaft and adjusting your servo linkage size to fit. So yes on the main shaft as for a new gyro well Sprit, Ikon, Spektrum and so on. I guess depending on your $$$$ situation, maybe Ikon :thinking:and :2c:

kelwillie

:welcome1:to the site. Changing your bird to FBL will mean changing the main shaft and adjusting your servo linkage size to fit. So yes on the main shaft as for a new gyro well Sprit, Ikon, Spektrum and so on. I guess depending on your $$$$ situation, maybe Ikon :thinking:and :2c:
I bought a mini k-bar g series 3 axis gyro and have it pluged into the ar6100e receiver but a hassle to get to web page and down load the driver then wouldn't connect with the usb connected to laptop. And I had power and bound to radio. Guess getting to old. What main shaft would I need?

Tony

Staff member
In most cases, the head should come with a main shaft. You just have to make sure it fits the gear in the bottom. I have never tried to go FBL with the SE-V2 (yes, I have one that has never been flown). My very first helicopter was the SE-V2 and that poor thing is in a zip-lock bag right now. It had a hard life.

With that said though, if the holes do not line up, it's just a drill press away from working if you have access to those tools.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I bought a mini k-bar g series 3 axis gyro and have it pluged into the ar6100e receiver but a hassle to get to web page and down load the driver then wouldn't connect with the usb connected to laptop. And I had power and bound to radio. Guess getting to old. What main shaft would I need?
Someone I've known had that gyro and it was a hit and miss to get to work. Same as 3GX...hard to tame.

LooseNut

Just finished a SE V2 conversion. Used a Tarot FBL head and Ikon 2.
The Main shaft for the SE is 116mm long and the supplied shaft from the Tarot FBL head was 118mm. So it only 2mm different in length and the hole is the same distance from the end.
So no big deal, use the shaft you have and adjust your links to fit.

LooseNut

Having broke a couple of the top sections before, I designed and 3D printed some braces from Proto Pasta HT Carbon Fiber PLA and laminated them to the weak area.
Made it nice and strong, no more torque shifting.
Yes, I did a receiver platform too that directs the Antenna wires in a inverted "V".

Attachments

• 20220703_103528.png
    20220703_103528.png
    304.3 KB · Views: 9

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Sorry about LooseNut. I thought I would remember that name but I do get that sometimeheimer's from time to time :duh::dunno::facepalm:

kelwillie

Someone I've known had that gyro and it was a hit and miss to get to work. Same as 3GX...hard to tame.
So can I just use the old futaba gyro gy-40t with the flb set-up. I hate to mention this but I bought the bird back many moons ago. I now take care of my 81 yearold mom who has dementia and other bad health issues and I am on medical leave with sever neuropthy in my feet and hands so I am limited to funds. That being said I am want to turn this bird into flb to fit a scale fuselage that I made well working on to fit it. I can't fly 3d so I am not wanting to rip the sky up. Just a nice scale look without the flybar. Thank you to all that has responded. Nice to have a family you can talk to without being bashed for trying something.

Tony

Staff member
Can you? Yes. However that is a tail only gyro and you will have no assistance for head stabilization. You need a 3 axis gyro (pitch, roll, yaw). The gyro you have (k-bar) will work fine, or should (never actually tried one) so I would just use what you have especially if funds are tight.

You can fly a FBL head without a gyro, but it is incredibly hard to fly! I would not attempt it.

kelwillie

Can you? Yes. However that is a tail only gyro and you will have no assistance for head stabilization. You need a 3 axis gyro (pitch, roll, yaw). The gyro you have (k-bar) will work fine, or should (never actually tried one) so I would just use what you have especially if funds are tight.

You can fly a FBL head without a gyro, but it is incredibly hard to fly! I would not attempt it.
Thank you sir for the help. What gyro would you recommend to use without breaking the bank account. I am not able to get the mini k-bar connect. I know its probable something I am doing. Also would it be better to run a satillite receiver instead of the ar6001e.

Tony

Staff member
The TGZ380 is a fantastic gyro for what it is. It is a clone of the MicroBeast, but works quite well. And you can hook up a Spektrum Satellite Rx to it rather than running a full size Rx, however you can run the full size Rx as well if you prefer. On smaller aircraft, I try to use only satellites when I can to save space/weight. On larger models, a few extra grams is not going to hurt anything.

Amazon product

Tony

Staff member
I know money is tight, trust me, I have been there! But for a helicopter, the electronics are so very important for a stable flight. Pair that gyro above with some decent digital servos and you will have a solid machine! And in most cases, for electronics on a model, it's buy once, cry once. Once you have it, you have it.

Top Bottom