Projects true flames test

wolfman76

Well here goes my first attempt at true flames using createx transparent paints ultramarine blue & orange. .. & createx's wicked colors wicked opaque white...

ForumRunner_20131215_165610.png
All of which are sold at hobby lobby if you have one nearby.. regular createx paints are 4.49 ea... and wicked colors by createx are about a dollar more... for 2oz. Bottles not same size as faskolor paint bottles. ...

ForumRunner_20131215_165610.png

Last edited:

EyeStation

Interested to see how this turns out. What do you use to create your edges? Would you mind posting pics of the templates?
Good luck!

wolfman76

I actually made and cut out my own templates which i will upload as soon as I can seeing as forum runner keeps crashing. .... errrr they showing up but it kept telling me it crashed

ForumRunner_20131216_184923.png

ForumRunner_20131216_184953.png

ForumRunner_20131216_185020.png

ForumRunner_20131216_185048.png

ForumRunner_20131216_185114.png

ForumRunner_20131216_185151.png

ForumRunner_20131216_185223.png

RC MAN

Hey Wolfman,
Hows your Painting going? I bought a flamed camaro body, real nice, Body was 40 bucks, paint 120 bucks, so for 160 I got me a flamed Dragster body.
Heres a pic for ya to strive for, If ya can do this, than your the man.
No, the Chick was not included in that price either. :bellyroll: LOL

camaro paint.jpg

wolfman76

I thank you for the vote of confidence that it's about what i going to try to accomplish.... sadly i haven't had a whole lot of time to myself to try it yet but i did get the lexan body i am going to paint cleared off it is the teal Chevy c-10 I have posted in the custom lexan body thread. .. I have positioned a few bodies with decent results so far.. if i may ask where did you purchase the body after painting from?

Last edited:

RC MAN

Wolfman, If ya mean who painted it, It was uritracing, The Camaro body is a mix between 1/10 and 1/8, specially made for a 1/10 Dragster, it came from Walburns Racing.

wolfman76

Oh ok. . Got lexan glue on the way also so i can use full color pictures out of magazines and or comics also and paint around them. ..

wolfman76

ok here is the first 2 pics of the true fire flames
20140708_051204.jpg20140708_060446.jpg
all feedback i can get the better what do you guys think???

20140708_051204.jpg

20140708_060446.jpg

wolfman76

that is actually purple these are the colors i will be using on the h2 hello kitty hummer body either pink blue purple or just pink n purple.. and thanks very much that is literally my first time laying down realistic flames

EyeStation

That stuff is trickier than it looks huh?
I see a lot of the same looks I had with my attempts at this, and I can't really explain what's not there.
I think it is the shading from the hard edge that needs more feathering. In the blue photo the last flame lick on the right, you can see the white on the left side edge doesn't feather into the flame. It looks more like a drop shadow than the twist of a flame.
Like I said, hard to explain.
When I get home I'll post a picture of a glass frame I tested in. If you look at mine, I am sure it will be easier to see.
I also got confused on what parts of the template to use, and when. But the depth of the flames will come from good feathering, and an eye for contour.
Looks good though.

Tony

Staff member
Using the stencil is great, but you need to do some more freehand with teh flames. Yes, in a REAL fire, there are sharp edges, but there is also a radiant glow that has soft edges. Just a thought. Looks good.

RC MAN

Keep at Kyle, lookin Very good now. Only time and practice, kinda like learning to fly a Heli, Many think is Soo simple, but one day it will all click, and youll say, That want so hard, why did it take me so long.

Top Bottom