Kits WACO or Stearman Biplane kitn

Loopy

Hello All,
I'm looking to purchase a WACO or Stearman balsa kit to build over the winter. 40" or larger wingspan. Electric power. HobbyKing shows a beautiful 1300MM kit that may be discontinued. Manzano Laser also has one in the correct size and price range. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

RandyDSok

Ok... I'm not going to recommend any since I don't have direct experience with them... but I have tried to pick from known good companies.

The first I came across is a 35" Waco by Dumas for an electric motor ... it's under the 40" mark but since it's a biplane, it'll still have 70" of wing between the two wings... link is at Tower Hobbies here Dumas Products, Inc. Waco YMF-5 Kit, 35" | Tower Hobbies

As it turns out... I'm not finding many decent balsa kits or even ARF's... I guess with everyone getting premade foamy's for whatever reasons they have... the balsa kit market is pretty slim now. It's a real shame since no foamy is going to fly as well or look as good as a balsa or fiberglass airplane. Of course biplanes were also not big sellers and limited in selection to begin with.

I guess the least I can do is provide a Google search that I was using to look for them... rc balsa kit biplane - Google Search

I may look for more later but have a few things to do first... I love balsa kits and ARFs and biplanes are always cool. I'd also hate to see you have to go with a HobbyKing selection since they may or may not be of good engineering despite their looks, it's just a gamble that I hate seeing people take unless you've found good reviews on the specific model they may have.

Loopy

Ok... I'm not going to recommend any since I don't have direct experience with them... but I have tried to pick from known good companies.

The first I came across is a 35" Waco by Dumas for an electric motor ... it's under the 40" mark but since it's a biplane, it'll still have 70" of wing between the two wings... link is at Tower Hobbies here Dumas Products, Inc. Waco YMF-5 Kit, 35" | Tower Hobbies

As it turns out... I'm not finding many decent balsa kits or even ARF's... I guess with everyone getting premade foamy's for whatever reasons they have... the balsa kit market is pretty slim now. It's a real shame since no foamy is going to fly as well or look as good as a balsa or fiberglass airplane. Of course biplanes were also not big sellers and limited in selection to begin with.

I guess the least I can do is provide a Google search that I was using to look for them... rc balsa kit biplane - Google Search

I may look for more later but have a few things to do first... I love balsa kits and ARFs and biplanes are always cool. I'd also hate to see you have to go with a HobbyKing selection since they may or may not be of good engineering despite their looks, it's just a gamble that I hate seeing people take unless you've found good reviews on the specific model they may have.
I've seen the Dumas plane. It doesn't appear to be scale. Lots of dihedral on the upper wing. I actually am leaning toward the Manzano Laser plane. Good price, good size. I've Goggled a bunch. I was hoping someone had previously bought one that they could recommend.
Thanks as always!!! :thankyou:

RandyDSok

I'm simply not seeing any of the ones I used to keep my eyes on...

I'm at the least going to post a link to Sig's website, they have a couple of bipe kits ( not the ones you asked about ) and are now also carrying a couple of other brands you can look at... there wasn't a bipe that would intrigue me... but it's not up to me and there are certainly some mono wing planes that I do like ( and a couple that I've owned ). I've always liked the quality of Sig's kits.... link is here Sig Manufacturing

BTW... I had to delete 3 of my bookmarks for hobby shops that no longer even exist. I also have one I kept that has no airplanes listed anymore and I really like their products. The popularity of cheap foamy's are killing the quality built RC market.

Top Bottom