Weird motions

bigone5500

Ender 5 plus printing its first custom part. It's an adapter for a vacuum hose. While printing there is a lot of jerking in the print head. Is this normal in a BL touch based machine?

Sorry, all I can do is Google photos for my vids right now. No fast internet.

bigone5500

Well the print failed. I don't know what happened other than the pausing caused the nozzle to clog. I came back about 20 minutes after the video and the extruder was slipping constantly. That's when I noticed it had nothing coming out. I'm printing with PETG at 240c hot end and 80c bed.

Tony

Staff member
Mine has done that and it ended up being the gcode. For some reason, rather than the gcode saying to stay at a constant speed and feed, it slows down like there is a small pause and then continue. May want to dive into the gcode to see if it's being commanded to stop or slow way down. Also, and I'm sure you have already done this, make sure the drivers in the printer are updated, and make sure your slicer is updated.

bigone5500

What do I look for in the gcode? Also, I used the latest version of the creality slicer. Maybe that was to blame. In the meantime I'll get the latest version of CURA and try again. The only mechanical issue I can think of is the pinion on the E stepper. They now press them on and I installed a creality all metal extruder. Maybe I need to replace the stock one? I'll do more tests today.

bigone5500

OK. Two things happened. I changed to Cura and resliced the part.

Second thing is I detangled my spool of filament. Almost immediately the extruder started clicking and I decided to push on it to help it along. That's when I saw it had a tangle in the spool causing the stepper not to be able to pull it in. At the time of this post the part is 50% done and there have been no pausing as when I used creality slicer.

Tony

Staff member
Ah, so it was the slicer creating the issue. Good find. I only use CURA as it's rare to have a bad print.

As for what to look for in gcode (I understand it doesn't really matter now) is just looking at the code to see if anything is weird. On a circle it should have a pattern on X and Y on how the numbers move the head. There are viewers that can help out with this a lot as gcode is a headache waiting to happen just looking at the raw code lol.

Tony

Staff member
I have not, only PLA. I have heard that it needs to be enclosed and heated to keep the print from warping. But that is as much as I know. Been wanting to try it though.

bigone5500

I switched to PETG sometime ago. It prints well at 240c and has good strength. I buy the overture brand filaments. I'll be trying my hand at TPU after I get the pkus lined out. I have a capricorn bowden to install and should be good then.

Top Bottom