Welcome To Rc-Help.com!

Tony

Staff member
Tony submitted a new Article:

Welcome To Rc-help.com!

Here at Rc-Help, we are not about just aircraft, we are about anything Rc. From Helicopters to Airplanes, to Cars, Buggies, Truggies and Trucks, To boats and Quad/Tri Copters. Our main goal is to get you in the hobby and keep you there.

As the owner of the forum, I got into Radio Control vehicles back in 1994, and it has exploded from there. I have now done everything from cars and trucks, to heli's and planes. I want to share what I know with all of you to help you out in this great hobby.

When you start out in this hobby, there are some rules to follow. If you love helicopters, don't start out like I did with a CCPM helicopter. They are some of the hardest things to fly. You need to learn a few things before you jump into the deep end. Get yourself a little mCX coax and learn your orientation. Once you are proficient at that, then move up to the mSR which is a single rotor fixed pitch. Once you have mastered that, then move into the mCP-X which is a CCPM heli. From there, the sky is the limit.

If you are more into planes, Don't start out with a nitro powered plane like the Edge 540 or other 3D plane. Do yourself a favor and get an electric powered (EP) plane that has dihedral and will pretty much land it's self. If you take a trainer into the air, and make a turn, all you have to do is let go of the sticks, and it will self right it's self. The Edge 540 or other 3D planes such as the Extra, Pitts, Yak and so on, once you bank that thing in the air, it's going to stay right there until you tell it to move. You don't need to worry about keeping it in the air when you start, you need to learn what the sticks do. A great plane to start out with is the Great Planes NexStar.

If you are like I was and don't want to jump into the air, you can always get a ground pounder such as the Traxxas E-Maxx or any number of other cars, trucks, truggies, buggies and anything else they have out there. The great thing about a ground pounder is you can learn some orientation with them on the ground, and if you lose orientation, you can just hit the brakes and stop. When I got started, I thought the pilots were crazy for flying when there was suck a risk of crashing. I'm here to tell ya, it's not as bad as you think.

The greatest thing you can do if you want to fly is join your local club. The members in a club will help anyone they can learn how to fly. Now to get on with a club, you will more than likely have to have an AMA membership. This is the single greatest thing you can do in this hobby. Not only can you join a club with it, but it will insure you against your plane hitting a building, car, or a person. It's just like driving a car, you have to have insurance for that, and you should have it with Rc aircraft as well.

As you can see, there are a ton of options in this hobby, and we are here to sort them out for you. You tell us what you like, and we will guide you in the right direction no matter what it is. Your AMA should be your first purchase if you are wanting to get into aircraft, because it's not "If" you will crash, it's "When". And when you are starting out, you will crash a lot. Don't let it get you down like it did with me. Just grab the CA, the hot glue gun, some foam or monokote, rebuild it and try it again. Remember, this is a hobby and it's supposed to be fun. So let Rc-Help Get you into the Rc vehicle you want to be in.

Read more about this article here...

Last edited:

bburton

I have a question regarding matching my motor/ESC/Battery. I have an e-flite 46 motor that is rated at 670 Kv and 800 watts, A 60 Amp brushless ESC. I also have a 5000 mAh 18.5 V, 45C battery. My question is, Is this battery going to burn up my motor?

odinski

I am a 62 year old kid and new to the hobby and would like to build the RC-Help Trainer. Does the power system setup come as a kit form or do I have to buy all in parts.? The only thing I have is a Futaba 6exa.

Tony

Staff member
Unfortunately I have not found a kit yet that is good enough for the trainer. You will need a 400-450 size airplane motor with a 10x6-10x8 prop respectively. The servos are just cheap 9g servos and the ESC is the Proton 40a. Everything can be purchased from hobbypartz if they have it in stock. I do have a thread in the forum (this section is the Article section, fyi) and you can access it by clicking on the forum tab. Or you can do a search for "Rc-Help Trainer Build". I do have a full series of build videos for this plane from start to finish and I have the setups in the videos as well.

Thanks for supporting Rc-Help.com. Let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

odinski

Unfortunately I have not found a kit yet that is good enough for the trainer. You will need a 400-450 size airplane motor with a 10x6-10x8 prop respectively. The servos are just cheap 9g servos and the ESC is the Proton 40a. Everything can be purchased from hobbypartz if they have it in stock. I do have a thread in the forum (this section is the Article section, fyi) and you can access it by clicking on the forum tab. Or you can do a search for "Rc-Help Trainer Build". I do have a full series of build videos for this plane from start to finish and I have the setups in the videos as well.

Thanks for supporting Rc-Help.com. Let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Thank You for the info.

Top Bottom