Chargers What charger should I get?

Tony

Staff member
That one will work, but it will likely take some time to charge your battery. Couple hours more than likely. Those USB chargers charge at a very low amp rating which is about as safe as you can get. So if it doesn't matter how fast your battery charges, then this one should do the job.

Smoggie

Those USB chargers are really intended for micro size batteries. As Tony says, they will charge your much larger capacity batteries, but it will take a long long time. If your battery was fully discharged and if plugged into a standard 0.5A USB port it would take about 10 hours to fully charge. A decent LiPo charger could do it in half an hour or less.
Bearing in mind that it's bad for LiPos to leave them stored in a fully charged state, then a 10 hour charge time is very inconvenient to say the least.

If you want to charge in a reasonable time you should be looking for a charger with at least a 6Amp / 50Watt rating... The more the better!

e_chen_777

Tony

Staff member
In all honesty, if you plan on staying in the hobby, I would get a charger that is going to last and charge everything you plan on running. In my case, I charge everything from 150mah single cell batteries for small toy quads to multiple 5000mah 6s packs in parallel for larger helicopters. In my case, I went with the iCharger 306b which is a 1000w charger.

If you are just looking at charging those little 300-450mah packs and that is it, something like the B6AC would be perfect. It is a 50-60 watt charger (depends on where you get it as to what the max output is) and will do great. And, you can usually get them for around $25.

With Chargers, Transmitters and Gyros, you always get the best you can afford. Saves a lot of headache later on down the road.

Smoggie

Maybe if you told us what you are using the battery for it would help. It seems strange to change from a big 3000mAh battery to a tiny 450mah battery? Is it for a plane, a heli or a car, or something else?

But Tony's recommendation is spot on, an Imax B6AC is a good choice as long as you arent charging large batteries. Just be very careful of all the fakes, most of the ones sold on eBay are fake. Only buy one that says 'SKYRC' on the front. If it doesnt say 'SKYRC it's a fake, so dont touch it!

e_chen_777

The first battery was actually only 300mah, but shipping from HobbyKing was from Hong Kong, so I found the other one on Amazon. As for the use, I am trying to make this:
MINI-Z BAR ANNEX 回転翼機飛ぶ

It is pretty odd, and there is no guide either, so I just have to estimate the sizing. The battery is only going to run this motor...
HobbyKing Donkey ST2204-1700kv Brushless Power System Combo

...and a single micro servo.

I probably won't use the charger for much more than this, so something reasonably priced would be great.

Smoggie

The first battery was actually only 300mah,

Ahh.. that makes more sense. I must lean to read! i was sure it said 3000mAh in the first post!

As Tony says, for those small batteries and if you dont have any plans for anything bigger in the future the USB charger would be good enough, though it could still take over an hour to charge depending on the rating of the USB socket.

Sorry if I caused confusion...

Top Bottom