Which Is A Better Sim Setup?

Rob Lancaster

Hi guys, I need your input on which simulator set up is better in the long run.
I'm thinking about getting a new simulator because the old Phoenix sim doesn't work with windows 10.
I'm thinking a RealFlight 9 will be nice. But which item or items should I get?
Should I get just the software and wireless dongle and use my DX8?
Or should I go for the gusto and get the full package. RealFlight RF9 Flight Simulator with Spektrum Controller RFL1100 ………….
I can't make up my mind.
Someone tell me what to do,... :thumbsup:

Tony

Staff member
This is going to be personal preference and budget. None of us can help you on this one.

Rob Lancaster

I think that one is discontinued.
Heck you guys helped me in more ways than you know; until now.. I'll just save my pennies for the full package...
Thanks guys... :biggrin1: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

RandyDSok

How odd... I'm sort of used to X being the Roman numeral 10 like in other softwares/hardwares... so much for following standards... LOL

I think the full package is how I'd prefer it as well... On my RF 5.5 I ordered a USB to Futaba training port adapter. It was much more complicated since I also had to assign each channel on the radio to the ones I wanted in the software ( Windows actually ) and then do the calibration. With the included transmitter/controller, I just had to calibrate it and fly. Don't get me wrong, my Futaba has much nicer gimbles and I could assign whatever switches where ever I wanted, it just wasn't so much of a difference that it mattered in the end. In addition, having the menu options on the included controller was also nice.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, X in this case stands for Xtreme. Why? I have no idea why they did that. But yea, 9 is the latest at this point.

Rob Lancaster

"Heck you guys helped me in more ways than you know; until now.." Quote:

Say what? It was late,, it should read, "Heck you guys helped me in more ways than you know". Period.:banana:

Rob Lancaster

Hey guys, I was going though the features on the RF9 and I noticed that you can use a VR headset. The ones they mentioned in the features where : Compatible with VR headsets, including the Oculus™ Rift and HTC® Vive™ VR headsets...

Here's the thing, I don't have a smart phone or wifi so how or what would I use so I can use a VR headset with the sim? VR is new to me so I have no idea how it's wired or other wise.

RandyDSok

A computer PC VR setup doesn't use smartphones, this isn't anything like FPV used on an RC aircraft. An internet connection would only be required if the software ( ie game etc ) needed it or if you need to download something. I suspect the majority of notebook computers are too limited for VR and you'll likely need a high end desktop PC with a high end GPU. Look at the required specs for each VR system you are considering ( they usually list minimum specs, so assume you will need higher specs than they list ).

Here is some basic info about it... Can Your PC Handle Virtual Reality? - Newegg.com

The VR systems I've seen a little bit about, are by themselves well above my pay grade... and that isn't even considering the PC requirements themselves. There is also no standards set, so you don't mix and match parts for a VR setup... you buy into a complete ecosystem which can quickly become out of date on the release of the newer systems.

Rob Lancaster

Whoa! After looking at all the info on this, I know my computer ain't going to handle it, lol... Yeah that's for the full on gamers...
Thanks anyway..

Rob Lancaster

Hi guys! I hope all is well with all!!
So we need to self isolate "A",, ok,, I just got my RF9 simulator and not a moment to soon too.. I'm glad I have a chance to sharpen up a bit before taking up my new Trex 450 Pro.. I've already gone through about 50 grand worth of aircrafts, LOL!
Three years is way to long not to train on a sim...
Carry on folks!!

murankar

Staff member
I could chime in and say next sim. If your on a spectrum then you would need the wireless dongle to get it to work.

I have heard that the rf dongle works also. I can not confirm this. I have never tried.

Top Bottom