Staff member
SKU093776.02.jpg

SKU093776.04.jpg

SKU093776.17.jpg

SKU093776.2.2.jpg
grey.gif

grey.gif

grey.gif

I was sent this helicopter quite a while ago and never got around to actually doing the review on it. Well today, that changes. I pulled this helicopter out of the box and charged up the batteries (it comes with two) and inserted 6 AA batteries into the Tx. Yes, 6 batteries is what it requires for the Tx. Why? Because you can plug the battery charger into the Tx and charge your batteries that way!

The helicopter is almost a spitting image of the Blade mSR which is THE helicopter that taught me how to fly helicopters. This one is updated though and instead of linear servos, it has somewhat standard servos. They are mounted to the AIO board, and the motor for the servos is poking through the board, but they are actual servos. Definite bonus!

The blades IMO are a better design than the mSR becuase instead of two pieces having to be mounted to the head, and then the blades being mounted to those two pieces (which strip out easily BTW), the blades just mount to the main shaft without the need for the extra screw. Way easier to replace and you don't have to worry about breaking them as much.

Speaking of blades, this helicopter does come with an extra set of main blades and an extra tail blade. So if you are just learning, you have spares to replace broken blades with. And trust me, starting out, you ARE going to crash. But this helicopter can take crashes VERY well. The worst thing that happened on the two times I put it in HARD, was the battery came out. That's it! This thing is a tank!

Flying this helicopter is pretty much hands off. It has very heavy weights on the end of the flybar rod (yes, flybar!) which results in a VERY stable flight. The downside to this is the helicopter is sluggish to respond and can get into what is called the "toilet bowl effect" where it just wobbles in a circle. It tried to do it to me once, but was able to pull itself out of it without input from me.

I did have to add some right trim as well as some back trim to the helicopter to keep it in one spot, but once I did that, this thing was more stable than anything else I own (other than my mSR lol). It has high and low rates on the Tx but they label them "Mode 1, Mode 2". This is Dual Rates, not Modes just to be clear. On low rates, this thing has a very slow flight speed in all directions including YAW. When you put it in high rates or Mode 2...., It will fly a little faster, but still will not allow you to put too much bank on it.

All of this paired together makes this one of the best helicopters you can get to learn how to fly! It is extremely durable, extremely easy to fly once you learn the basics and is one of the best tools you can use to learn your orientations in flight! If you are looking to get into the hobby of RC Helicopters, or you are just wanting something that you can very easily fly around the house (protect sensitive screens and such!), then you need one of these helicopters in your life! Pick one up at the link below and help the site out at the same time for free!

WLtoys V911-pro V911-V2 2.4G 4CH RC Helicopter  RC Drones from Toys Hobbies and Robot on banggood.com

Tony

Staff member
Pro Tip #2: This helicopter HATES WIND!!! The mSR can deal with some wind, but because this has a gyro on board (even with a flybar, not sure why...), it likes to fight you when you are trying to fight the wind. So there is no "leaning into" the wind with this one. And if you change orientation, man it takes off like you set a fire under its tail rotor.... And the battery still likes to fly out, especially when you hit the smoke stack of your smoker....

Stambo

My son learned to fly one of these at 8 years old, I think there is a video on here of him.
I'll see if I can find a link.
I have had 4 of them, 2 are still flying, the other 2 are now parts but they have had a hammering.
They have been crashed more than I can remember and still come back for more.
Not sure about the later ones but mine happily bind to my old Turnigy 9x.

As Tony said, they are definitely not happy in the wind.

Found it.

Last edited:

Matt

People need to know there are other “beginner” helis besides the line of Blade beginner helis. WLtoys, and XK make some good helis at good prices so people need to know there are options and they’re not stuck (bad word to use here) buying Blade helis although Blade helis are good and I’ve had a few of them but there are other manufacturers out there to choose from

Like for example the Blade Nano is about the same size and price as the XK K110

The Blade 130s is about the same size and price as the XK K130

And for the price of the of the 230 s you could get an Oxy 2 and all its electronics except the fbl gyro or a Gaui x2 with all its electronics except for the fbl gyro

There’s options out there

Tony

Staff member
The thing about the Blade line of products is every hobby store carry's them. You can drive up the road and get parts rather than waiting weeks or months for a set of blades. But you are right, there are alternatives out there if you are willing to do a little waiting.

Matt

Yup, every hobby store carries the Blade helis and have their parts on hand but a little looking around could be good

The Blade 230s is about $300. I got my Oxy 2 kit for $149 and the electronics for $149. The only thing I had to buy to make it more expensive was the fbl gyro. I had a Blade 400 which I learned to hover with. Awesome heli. Now I know how to look around and to shop which took me years to acquire that skill in this hobby

I think my issue now is I look for the best thing I can get at the best price because I’ve crashed so many times that I’ve learned so many lessons

Last edited:
Top Bottom