500 Align 550E DFC

Tomhintz

Oh crap. That's real dork territory isn't it....
Was just looking at progressiverc and their psu that puts out 350watts is only $59. I was thinking it would be way more than that. I also just talked to a buddy and he said I need to talk to out resident heli maniac as he is always selling stuff of and buying way bigger stuff. (he flies a big gas heli with a video visor on just watching through the camera...he has a spotter but I;ve never seen them do anything but watch)

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, as stated, PSU is Power Supply Unit. All it does is convert 110vAC to 12vDC.

Your best bet is to head out to that meet and see what people are using. You never know, if you tell enough people that you are in need of a charger that can charge 6s packs, you may just head home with a charger that day. Make sure it's at least 300 watts though. I think, if I was in your position, I would still go with teh 306 just so you have room to grown in teh future.

http://www.progressiverc.com/the-surface-500w-combo.html

Check that outfit out. The main thing I don't understand is the charge cables or whatever they are talking about. I have everything on Deans plugs so can solder that part up. I useually cut off a Tamyia plug off and put a deans on, something like that

Tony

Staff member
That would be a great combo. Get the 306 and not the 3010. What those numbers mean is 30 amps 6 cell, or 30 amp 10 cell. There are not many people that use 7+s packs.

The T connector (Deans plug) is out of stock, But as you stated, you can get just about any cable you want and just solder your end on it. I would suggest the paraboard though. The first one with the JST-XH T Connector is the one that I have and I love it. Just remember, if you connect two batteries to it, they must be within 2% of each other on the voltage.

Tomhintz

OK. I've had enough of this conspiracy! I went out to the field last evening to put up my canopy and everybody I talke3d to had an I Charger, most the 306B. I think you are all in cahoots (there's that dorky again) with this I Charger thing.
Anyway, I just ordered the setup discussed earlier, with the paraboard, should have I next week.
More envy material - saw a trailer with 9 helicopters and 6 planes in it, plus a work area (I Charger built onto the wall.....) and later got to see a fancy looking Goblin go in at speed - not pretty.
Thanks for all the help!

Tony

Staff member
You will like that setup Tom, I can assure you. Your not going to be able to max the charger out, but it will do what you need it to do. At any time, if you want the 1000w of power, just hit me up. I will get you hooked up.

Tomhintz

We ad over 35 pilots sign in for our first heli meet at our field yesterday. I got the 550 up five times during the day but limited my 3D to about 1/2D with a bunch of half-pipe swings wi th pedal turns at the top of each end, but I did a bunch of them and didn't hit the ground! Lots of nice comments on the 550E, people really liked the combination of 600 head and tail boom and motor. I'm just glad I got to fly it again. Hopefully going out this morning for a while also.

Tomhintz

BIG day at the field this morning. I stated doing the half-pipe thing up one side, swing he tail 180-degrees, down and up the other side, repeat the tail swing etc. on the second pass I was was too shallow with the dip and went zooming by out farther than I wanted to the left and for some reason I just laid it over on the left side, pulled in a little elevator and swung the tail around to keep it looking right and I had done my first turn. Went right on by me and did another "aileron" turn to the right side of me and kept it up. The next flight I was doing fast figure-8s. Keep in mind that all of this happened with a dim, gray rain-cloud-looking overcast with poor definition against hat backdrop!
I am absolutely flabbergasted by how different the 550 is over the 450 which was light years ahead of that dam Blade junk I had earlier. I can't get out to he field before next weekend when I hope to shoot the video for my 550 review. I also need to give myself a day or so before I finish writing the 550 review as I might sound overboard on my praise for this helicopter. I need more batteries, my new charger and some clear skies!
Did I mention that I am a very happy camper???:unconscious::congratulatory::playful:

Tomhintz

You can check out the video or our fly-in at he link below. There is a short piece of me lying the 550 in that video, more to come when I do the review, hopefully to be completed early next week. I shot the handheld and airborne video myself.

FlyingRC.net

EyeStation

Great turnout at your Fly-in. And the 550 looks nice. And I dug the autorotation contest. Might have to try that one on the SIM with some RC-Help friends.

Tomhintz

Great turnout at your Fly-in. And the 550 looks nice. And I dug the autorotation contest. Might have to try that one on the SIM with some RC-Help friends.

When I left home to go to the fly-in w had fog and 1/2-mile visibility so I thought our fly-in was a gonner. But, 0 he field itself had the best visibility in the area and the fog burned off pretty quick but the clouds stayed most of the day. With the size of the crowd that showed up I decided to not get carried away with trying new things with my new heli. The next morning is when I got adventurous!

EyeStation

Nice review. I like the way this heli built your flying confidence. Aileron Rolls, loops and FF speed turns would not have been on my list for the first flights.
Good job sir.

EyeStation

Probably not the best two terms together, but FF = Fast Forward. I guess FF turns is impossible. But eye hope you catch my drift.

Tomhintz

Probably not the best two terms together, but FF = Fast Forward. I guess FF turns is impossible. But eye hope you catch my drift.

I should have known it was something simple that I whiffed again! But, if I was doin' it I gotsta know what it is! Thanks!

Tomhintz

Finally got two decent flying days free of the freezing rain and stuff of late. Sunday was perfect, clear blue skies, no wind, warm and I got to fly the 550 15 times. I am feeling way more comfortable flinging it around the sky, my occasional saves are getting to be more and more instinctive and less frequent. I realized that I was using a bunch of extra collective so have been working on that and battery life is coming up nicely. I am getting a solid 5 minutes with 35 to 40% left in the pack. I am hoping to get to 6 minutes as I get smoother on the controls, especially collective. If we get decent skies this weekend (they are predicting rain...I don't always believe them) I want to get a video of my progress. I am having a bunch of fun making this 550 do odd things in the sky! Plus, turns are smoothing out and the whole routines are coming down to lower, more visible altitudes. Baby steps.

Top Bottom