De-Briefing of FortWorth Heli Spring Fever 2013

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
OK So Saturday April 20th was just plain AMAZING! Heli Spring Fever 2013 in Fortworth Texas (Thunder Bird Field)

Started off my day with getting a new bird. THE WARP 360. My Friend John Roboraugh had it, he built it, and hadnt flown it more than 4 -5 times.. And HE wasnt going to as he had too many Synergy birds to fly (SHOW OFF!! ) .. So .. I got that Warp from him. Spent 10 minutes programming my radio and getting the settings all done. That was it. The 7200BX bound up like a charm and was READY TO FLY! John had charged the batteries for me so I could fly this weekend. So that was Awesome!

Maidened my warp.. and it was just beautiful. Took a couple tries to get the tail gain where it wont be a happy puppy.. But after that it was straight up fun!

Wind going a million miles an hour didnt help, but didnt keep us from flying. People were smacking their birds around, helis were going fast with the wind.. it was fun!

Here is where I setup.. Had the view of Benbrook lake by us... and it was beautiful.. just to put a camping chair and grab a Soda and just relax.. :D

image.jpg
image_1.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_3.jpg
image_4.jpg
Met some amazing people. Introduced them to RC-help. Hope To see them around... took some pictures of people..

Here was this dude Ryan from OK (Oklahoma City) .. He had the MIKADO LOGO XXTREME 700 and a Logo 500.. Man he was BAD A** ! He did some blade scrapes on his logo 500.. enough to make his blades shave away the whole top white part and you could see through the blade:

image_16.jpg
image_17.jpg

Here was his MIkado.. Man this thignwas AMAZING!! :

image_5.jpg
image_6.jpg
image_7.jpg
image_8.jpg
image_9.jpg

Then there were other Bada**es like him how also did blade scrapes on concrete paved 3 quaters of a million dollar runway they had there (story for another day) ..

image_21.jpg
image_22.jpg
image_23.jpg

Met Jesse.. Was very glad to see another familiar face.. and his fiance there. Even though he didnt fly (which I tried to give him a hard time for :p :p :D :D ) , still I was very glad he was there, unlike some other lazy butts that didnt show up .. YEah that right I said it! :D :p

Then I flew my Vibe.. The Vibe was flying great onmy Funtech B320.. The funtech muffler (also rebranded by OS as OS powerboost v2) is THE BEST muffler I have flown.. you will see on my youtube channel the finetuning of it when I did on friday..

The Vibe flew great.. on my first tank.. flew for a full 8 minutes or so.. brought it down.. saw I had more fuel left.. I was like oh i will burn this fuel too... So I fly again for a minute or so.. and then decide ro auto it down from about 10 feet into the wind.. WELL .. The Stupid wind was so high.. it kept the heli in the air for WAY TOOO LONG! I kept pushing it down.. but it just hung at 4 feet high ..where finally the blades stalled and it fell.. breaking my Maverikk blades :(

I was so frustrated! lol But I wasnt gonna let it let me down.. Today was a day to fly.!! Jesse and his fiance found a seller had set up shop with blades and some common parts.. and lead me to it.. I texted my wife.. she gave the green light and I feeling like hardcore in the flying spirit (LOL) bought a new set of blades and put it on.. The feathering shaft was perfectly straight and so was the main shaft.. all else looked fine too ..

Then after a couple hours I went out to fly my new RAIL 606's and mid flight I see my bird going out of control.. Thought my RX pack pooped out.. But nope.. it was my swash ball.. One of my swash ball decided to fail mid air. so auto'ed it down barely.. hard landing on grass. WAS very thankful that my new blades didnt break (PHEW! that would have been depressing.. :p ) but, that was a sign that the Vibe didnt wanna fly today.. so let it be.. and

Flew my warp some more..

Flew the whippy.. and then realized after 5 minutes of flight.. that my blades were off tracking by 2 degrees!!! I was like no wonder it was sluggigh.. Fixed that and the whippy was just a LOAD of fun! so much power! just amazing!

Then there was an autorotation contest. Had to land the auto in the center of a circle. I didnt take part but I witnesses. took a video but by the time coolest auto came around, I was out of space so had to sacrifice it.. Here is the coolest auto contestants..

Coolest Autorotation Contest Participants. - YouTube

and then was RYAN.. He decieded to use his Logo 500 for this.. (wise choice)

Ryan-- winner of coolest auto on logo 500 - YouTube

Did multiple flips in the air while autoing (with see through blades as I should you before) .. and a piro flip and then heli lost head speed and dug itself in.. FOR SURE he had the coolest and most expensive auto !!! :D :D
here is heli after :

image_15.jpg
image_14.jpg
image_13.jpg
image_11.jpg
image_12.jpg

He won raffle tickets... TOTALLY WORTH IT!! (NOT!! ) :p :D but loads of fun! and yes its worth that!

then came THE GREATNESS... TIM "HIGH NEEDLE" JONES..

Man this guy is crazy.. its like his heli is on crack!

Here is the pic of this 700 nitro which you will see fly.. He has a boom brace that braces his tail case.. cause without it he was twisting the tail case out every two or three flights.. SO MUCH TORQUE!!! SO MUCH SMACK!!

image_20.jpg

Here is his flying::

Tim jones -- 700 nitro -- smack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heli - YouTube

part 2 :

Tim jones smack part 2 - YouTube

here he is trying to break the speed record.. He clocked 139 mph with the wind :

Trying to break the speed record on hurricanes --- 139mph (don't know if it broke??) - YouTube

A funny HIGH note of the day was the "Edger competition" .. where Tim Jones did edgers... Edger basically just being high speed tail down (inverted or right side up passes) down on the deck ...

Tim jones did edger with his 700.. where Doug Darby.. The funny man he is.. went out with an actual edger with a canopy on it.. and Obliterated all competition!! HAHAHAHA

It wa awesome! as tim was expecting his whippy gasser to fly.. and do the edgers.. but out came the edger! :D

image_26.jpg
image_27.jpg
image_28.jpg

Doug Darby's edger! Beating Tim jones - YouTube

Then we had some amazing Cajun Dinner .. 5 bucks for unlimited Gumbo , Red meat filed gravy with Rice.. and drinks and what not.. all in all GABA was very very happy..

as you see i didnt have any videos of my own flying.. I didnt have a camera on me..

so there!

enjoy! :D

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_4.jpg

image_5.jpg

image_6.jpg

image_7.jpg

image_8.jpg

image_9.jpg

image_10.jpg

image_11.jpg

image_12.jpg

image_13.jpg

image_14.jpg

image_15.jpg

image_16.jpg

image_17.jpg

image_18.jpg

image_20.jpg

image_21.jpg

image_22.jpg

image_23.jpg

image_24.jpg

image_25.jpg

image_26.jpg

image_27.jpg

image_28.jpg

Last edited:

Lee

I will have to watch pinions videos again. See if i can see you. :D Looked like a lot of fun.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I will have to watch pinions videos again. See if i can see you. :D Looked like a lot of fun.

in his video of the Edger duo.. with Doug darby and Tim jones.. right before he closes the camera.. he pans to the right.. I am in there.. :D
I havent seen them all.. but he is uploading a lot of night fliying and i wasnt there for that :)

murankar

Staff member
Call it lazy or kids first, either way I would have been there if I could have made it. Just the thought of lense time would have made it worth it. I think fun flies will be my nich in photography.

Now if I could just sell some images so I can spend some of the cash on a fleet.

Glad it was a great time.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
i understand... KIDS ALWAYS come first! :) I was just pulling your leg.... :p

I knew you would catch on :D :D

It would have been fun though!

Top Bottom