finally a great day's flying

taizi

at last the weather today was a loverly 14 degrees and a light wind here in windy Dalian

i took my 450 hybrid and my V120 down to the basketball court and gave them a blooming good thrashing hehehe
it was a bit gusty now and then which was nervy with the 450 (confidence still building with this one), i was managing to throw it about abit but with the V120 i was going nuts as i wanted to really throw it around because ive just changed my stick sens from +20 to -40 in preparation for my plans to actually flip the bugger upside down, i want to get used to the new twitchy setting before attempting inverted or even just rolling

i was doing my now usual fast turns and fig 8's but when up to speed bringing it past me then pulling back hard on the stick and then recovering, im doing this in normal mode for now, baby steps an all

anyone got any advice as to how i should actually go about flipping this thing over, i know from my sim that when the heli is approaching inverted that i have to throttle down to reverse the pitch but not actually doing it for real , i just want some advice from someone that has done it, so i know roughly what to expect because doing it on the sim is really easy and i know its not the same in real life because its expensive if it goes wrong hehehehe

happy flying everyone

stokke

When I learnt to flip, I learnt to flip it backwards from tail in. The first attempts was to do a half flip backwards - so flip until the nose points skywards, then flip back to upright. After doing this until it felt natural, I started to work in some inverted pitch as I tipped over into inverted - then back to upright again. After a while I was able to flip it all the way into completely inverted, then back to upright. At this point I started training on hovering inverted.

I learnt all this in the sim beforehand of course.

Ken Jackson

I like to flip forward but when you come out of it it tends to come toward you. The back flip is easier but doesn't look as cool. What are you calling Normal? Are you talking about dual rates or Idol Up? I wouldn't do flips unless I have my dual rates cranked and idol up to at least 85%. Wouldn't try anything less.

Also I would just do flips until you get a feel for the flip/roll rate. Once you are comfortable then go for inverted hover. Which way to flip is a personal preference but I like the front flip to inverted better. Just gives me a better visual. Guess it all depends on your perspective.

This is a video of flips and rolls with my 500. I haven't tried flipping my 450 yet, just doesn't feel like it has enough power.

April 3 Coffee Creek View 2 - YouTube

Ken

Lee

Loops are the next step after stall turns.
Fly the heli from one side to the other in front of you in a straight line. At each end pull the nose up to slow down, and as the heli come to a stop, turn it 180º and head of in the other direction. As you become more confident, pull the heli up closer and closer to the vertical angle, once you have that, all the parts for a full loop are learnt. Instead of turning 180 at the top of the stall, just pull back harder on the elevator and give a touch of neg pitch. The heli will flip and you are now at the point of the top of a stall turn again.

taizi

thanks for that guys, looks like i was starting the right way, at the moment i am flying at speed and pulling back on the elevator, or just pushing the stick back or forward to full reach and then pulling out, the heli appears to have enough sensitivity to go all the way over, but i think your right Ken i will need to increase the sensitivity abit more (the V120 is very light and very agile)
i have my dual rate set to -40% at present which is more twitchy than ive had before so im still getting the feel of it but no probs so far, the normal mode is idle-up off, so next step is to go into idle-up and practice the same stall turns and pulling up hard on the sticks
im taking it real slow and getting more confident but my problem is mostly the wind factor around here so most of the time im limited to flying in an underground car park which ofcourse has no height

thanks for the advice guys, i will keep practicing the basic first moves and when i feel ready i will try rolling over and back to upright, inverted is a long way off yet hehehe
i will try to watch the video Ken when my network allows (chinese servers block me from getting to youtube and my VPN is unstable)

Top Bottom