Foamy plane servo question

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
batch_IMG_2130.JPG I'm not educated on airplanes much so I'm asking If I can remove the 2 servos and replace them with one servo, in the middle? I have 3 servos I can use but I really don't want to buy an extra servo if I don't have to.

RandyDSok

You can but your ailerons will not move evenly ... this can be addressed a little by making a servo arm extension that angles each side of the arm slightly. It doesn't completely make them even but it helps. I just can't tell you how to estimate how much of an angle to use. The pic is of the one made for the foamy I bought and all of the engineering was already done. You also may not save anything in weight if the single servo you use ends up being heavier as well since it will certainly need to be stronger than the single servos ( per side ) you are using.

PS... this is a plywood arm that is attached by screws to the original nylon arm.

Servo.jpg

RandyDSok

These may also be useful in seeing how they were implemented in the airplane I have...

The aileron horns are also made of plywood... and set at an angle as well.

Horns.jpg

A top side view of the installation before the top side of the fuse was added...

Wing.jpg

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Here's question 2, as I was going through my collection of stuff I came across plastic arms batch_IMG_2131.JPG Which one do you recommend I use? Also, why is one arm straight and the other has an angled tip?

RandyDSok

Just guessing that the angle is for the same or similar situation that the arm I showed was for... compensation for the differential seen when one servo is controlling the ailerons. Just a guess still.

It's hard to guess at which arm to use from just a pic... I'd pick the one that feels the strongest. I'd also be worried that the servo isn't as strong as the two you had shown in the previous pick... so check their specs vs the other servo's and make sure they have at least twice the power of each of the other ones.

Top Bottom