Half piro flips!

pvolcko

So I crashed the 550X a couple weeks back at the club field trying the top half of a half piro flip. Heli ended up between me and the staging area/fence. Luckily only a couple others there so no one got hit with it, including myself. I'd feel bad about it except I started the attempt a ways out from me and about 50+ ft up. Pretty safe. Or so I thought. :)

I've also crashed the 300X a few times now trying the maneuver.

So I went back to sim practice on it for a week or two and decided to give it a try again at the club field last evening. This time I had an audience.

And I pulled it off! :)

They still need work, but they are far better controlled. I complete to a tail in hover on about half of the attempts. 10% I screw up the start of them and end up just wobbling around a bit. 25% I get to near inverted hover, but the tail is 30 degrees short of tail in (need to speed up the yaw rate). The others are screwy misattempts.

No near crashes on the screw ups. Managed to recover them all.

Very psyched. Will try to get a few on video next time.

Just had to brag a bit. :)

Tony

Staff member
Congrats bro! Feels good when you pull something like this off huh? lol. Keep up the great work.

I swear, everyone is a better pilot than I am hahahahaha.

pvolcko

Thanks guys. They are still ugly and unreliable attempts. Spent most of my sim time last night trying them with the sim speed way down and getting a better feel for the stir timing vs tempo of the yaw rate. Knew the music background would help me one day. I was counting out the spin like it was a measure of music and timing my stir to it. Worked especially well when I tried half of a full and double piro flip. Also helped when I tried entering a half prio flip from a stationary piro hover (normally I just pitch it a bit forward and yaw at the same time to do one from stationary hover).

Got a decent day here. Might be able to give it a try and catch it on video. Or a crash. :)

pvolcko

Got video of a 300X flight doing them. Had to zoom in like crazy to be able to see them. Hopefully the rendering will turn out okay. If not, I'll redo at my normal zoom and hope you guys can make it all out. Love the 300X, but it isn't the best heli for video unless you're good enough to do things low and relatively close to you. :) Also have some bonus footage with the DX9 at the end of it.

Lee

Sweet Paul. Its a rush when you start to get those piros. Full piros are just around the bend :D

Top Bottom