Helicopters and stupidity

Slobberdog

LoL guys Helicopters and stupidity dont mix. like men and multi tasking.

Well I went to flying club last night, used my 450 til it broke, doh, and used my 130x for the first time in a big hall,

Well was moving it around having a blast, and trying to talk at the same time, here's where I now know I can't multi task, cos the heli started to come towards me a eye level, all be it quite controlled but I got a bit spooked and had a Trex 100x moment and shut down the throttle and went to catch it as it dropped out of the air, DOH, OUCH maybe would have been a better description, and yes I did catch it, but it bit back, rotor head and blades were still traveling at a good speed well until they hit my thumb and came to an abrupt stop,

first thing that went through my mind was, oh poop what gear did i strip, but to my supprise none, oh by the way thats when the pain started, oh and a bit of blood, so I put the heli down and had to try it to see if it was infact all ok, and it was.

Now have a bruised thumb a slightly dented ego and the reality I must not talk while flying.

Also now know that catching a heli is a bad idea whatever the size,

ALL PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, IT HURTS..............:culpability:

Tony

Staff member
I have caught my mSR and mCP-X like that before. Thought about doing it to Matts 130X and even though about grabbing the 450 when I was walking around it in the video lmao. I think not grabbing it was what they call, a moment of clarity lmao.

Slobberdog

Lmfao Tony, clarity thats more like a moment of genius, I think I would run and hide if that happened with my 450, :nightmare:

Slobberdog

Not a good idea I think, and yes I bet it hurt.

when I first tried this hobby 6 ish years ago I had my Mini Titan on the table replacing the tail drive gear, and I spooled it up on accident and stopped that with my arm, oh and broke the brand new tail drive gear I just fitted as well,

but that hurt and left some good bruises, thank goodnes for soft start on that one.

Tony

Staff member
Oh it was still flying. I wanted to snatch it out of the air lmao. Then I flashed to seeing the bone in my arm and came to the conclusion that it would be best to just leave it be and let him land it himself hahaha.

Ken Jackson

Battle wounds from my 450. Was setting it up on the bench, my GF yelled downstairs to say dinner was ready. Cheap ESC so when I shut the radio off first... I did pull the battery lead off but it spun up before I could. Blade broke across my arm, fortunately I was still using wood blades. My arm swelled up like a baseball. I am very careful now and I don't use cheap ESCs anymore. Who would build an ESC that doesn't shut off on signal loss, it should be a law.

Ken

IMG_0268.JPGIMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

Ken Jackson

Didn't break the skin but it bruised all the way down to the bone. I won't ever do that again. If for some reason it started to happen I will just get out of the way. Could have been much worse. I was afraid to even look at my arm for 10 minutes.

Ken

Slobberdog

Yeah mine was not that bad. but had a good set of whelts from it, if i have mine on the table now its always on throttle hold.

Graham Lawrie

I did the same with my 450 after a damage repair i had spent all night on. I switched the TX off first and she spooled up:( hit my arm and stopped as i frantically tried to pull the battery plug with one hand:) Ego was more damaged than me , but physically bruised and it nipped for a week:) Never done it since:)

Lee

Had a scary moment on my first heli build. Switched off the TX before the heli and instantly the heli spooled up the full speed. My first instinct was to grab the heli. Grabbed it by the tail and the tail blades hit my fingers. OUCH!!!! Managed to get the battery unplugged. Turned round to find my wife under the coffee table LOL :D.

So why did this happen to me and others?
When binding your TX to the Receiver all switches and sticks should be in the position you want the helicopter to see if you lose signal ( or turn off the TX)
This should be Throttle stick at 0, Cyclic stick in the middle with all switches on Normal mode.
When i bound my TX, the throttle stick was at full. luckily for me the pitch was still set to 0º, so although the heli spun up, it didn't take off.
Lesson learned and never repeated. :D

Slobberdog

When binding your TX to the Receiver all switches and sticks should be in the position you want the helicopter to see if you lose signal ( or turn off the TX)
This should be Throttle stick at 0, Cyclic stick in the middle with all switches on Normal mode.
When i bound my TX, the throttle stick was at full. luckily for me the pitch was still set to 0º, so although the heli spun up, it didn't take off.

Thats great info Lee will remember that now as I did not know this, all be it I will not be turning my tx off first to test it. LOL

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Had a scary moment on my first heli build. Switched off the TX before the heli and instantly the heli spooled up the full speed. My first instinct was to grab the heli. Grabbed it by the tail and the tail blades hit my fingers. OUCH!!!! Managed to get the battery unplugged. Turned round to find my wife under the coffee table LOL :D.

So where do you set your failsafe at? 1/2 throttle or a little more or less?

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
No, you need to set them at 0 throttle in Normal mode with teh cyclic centered.

DX8 How To Pt 9 Setting Fail Safes - YouTube

Ok I'll try that. I had to use above 10% on the QAV with the NAZA to get the failsafe to work on the NAZA. Haven't figured out the NAZA H on the 600 yet. I tried 0 and the failsafe wouldn't work. So I might have to use 10% on it too. The 700 I'm ready to mount the Ikon on it this weekend. So I should use 0 on the Ikon?

Tony

Staff member
I would. I don't want any throttle on any aircraft just in case my TX dies or whatever and the heli/plane/quad falls into a populated area.

Top Bottom