Lucky Luke

stokke

After crashing my Gaui NX4 about three weeks ago, I started ordering spare parts. As I was browsing the pages I stumbled over some night blades that I just had to have! So I ordered a bunch of stuff, including the necessary equipment to perform night flight with my 500 Nitro.

These two last nights I have been rebuilding the Gaui. But after assembling my tail pitch slider, I somehow managed to reverse the slider output, meaning that the gyro compensation and rudder input had to be reversed. Last night I had completed the build and hooked up my fluorescent tail blades and illuminated main blades - only thing needed to be done was to get the tail reversing set straight. For some reason I managed to mess this up every time I was hooked up to the computer. Between these tests I was down in our apartment building's parking garage trying her out.

I finally got it right while she was standing on the concrete at 2300 rpm, the little .37 engine screaming. I was just playing with the tail CW and CCW while admiring the sweet led-lighted blades. It's a rather small parking garage, with about 25 parking spots, a rather low ceiling (8 feet?), concrete pillars placed between every other car (the Gaui sitting double parked LOL) - so the noise was quite loud due to the acoustics of the garage and smoke started to build up.

SUDDENLY I GET NO RESPONSE. No response from my rudder inputs..... !!! I frantically try to hit throttle hold and throttle cut SEVERAL times - NOTHING!! She's just standing there SCREAMING like a bat outta hell. I feel the panic, the shaking hands, the sweat on my forehead. SHIIIIIIIIII***** My first reaction is to run and grab a broom standing against a wall - thinking I could use it to disarm the outta-control illuminated giant buzz saw...

I take cover behind one of the concrete pillars and observe. My God was I panicking at this moment, trying to figure out whether to destroy what I had just built (also risking damage to parked cars, sprinkler systems, myself) or to wait a little longer and see what happens. I try the TH and TC again - no use. Then I see it; the Rx-pack lead is sticking out from the frame - it's disconnected!!! OMG OMG OMG

Luckily I had the bird at mid stick when testing, and for some reason the tail was still holding - everything was holding! She's just standing there, screaming... I see the main tank is empty and the header is half full. I risk it, I'm waiting her out!! After what felt like forever, the header was empty and she gave out with a extra high pitched scream - then died. I came out from behind the pillar - still shaking like crazy. I couldn't believe it. Me, the bird and everything else - still in one piece! :D :D :)

THAT my friends is called luck.

Lesson is: don't hurry when doing anything in this hobby. Take your time - and for Christ's sake: make sure you properly seat battery connectors! LOL

Last edited:

Slobberdog

Man thats so lucky that the connector came out with no imput being used anywhere so it just sat there. glad no one or nothing got hurt.

Lee

Very lucky escape mate. Is there no fail safe to cut the throttle when theres no signal?

stokke

glad no one or nothing got hurt.

You and me both buddy

Very lucky escape mate. Is there no fail safe to cut the throttle when theres no signal?

Yes, the ikon has a failsafe setting, but as there was no battery connected, the Rx couldn't control the servo!

- - - Updated - - -

I think I'm getting myself one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8077-RC-Electric-Nitro-Model-Receiver-Servo-Fail-Safe-/360707794387?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53fbdc25d3

Lee

Doh!!! had my electric hat on :D.
I have heard that some people have a spring attached to the servo arm, so if the electrics die, the throttle servo is pulled to min by the spring.

murankar

Staff member
That was a close one. I have suggested one of these to someone else on here: http://http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalog/accessories/backup_guard/S_Backup_Guard/
I am not 100% sure on how it works all I know is that it will store power in a battery and when power to the system is cut it kicks in and gives you enough power to land or get close enough to auto down. With that nitro it could be well worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

Dont have time to finish watching but this could help out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUzIhSDOUnc

Top Bottom