Trucks My Latest Purchase

Tony

Staff member
Everyone has been wondering what I have had in the works for the past few days, and today I went and picked them up. I just couldn't pass up this deal. What I purchased was a Traxxas Nitro Stampede and a Traxxas Nitro T-Maxx, both second hand and it shows. But, even with all of the work I have to do on them, I will still come out ahead on this deal.

IMG_0638.jpg
The Stampede is pretty clean and pretty much all there. I hate the wheels that are on it, the front tires are stock (= SUCK) with no foam in them, and the rears are something that I wouldn't ever think about putting on my own truck, but it's used. The engine has great compression and has the classic Traxxas electric start. I have yet to test these out however. I have done no cleaning on the truck, and there is some oil around the exhaust. The air filter is missing, but the inside of the carb looks clean so I don't think it was ran without the filter. Only time will tell if it runs.

IMG_0645.jpg
The T-Maxx is a different story. They have taken off the plug used to ignite the glow plug and the + prong on the electric start is broke off. Not a big deal, I wll just solder the wire directly to the motor. The engine however feels like it's seen better days. There is no compression and feels very gritty when you spin the flywheel. This could be two things. 1) the motor could just be that old and dirty and had the crap run out of it or 2) the motor is locked up and the flywheel is spinning on the crank. If the motor is locked up, I will be calling Traxxas and taking advantage of their deal if it's still in place. What deal? You will just have to wait and find out. The throttle servo has been replaced with an Airtronics 94322 servo, but it's still just a stock servo with plastic gears and one bearing. The steering servo is stock, but I have a servo in my box that I will be replacing it with.

This truck is dirty, and when I mean dirty, I mean HOLY CRAP dirty. Like it was run through the mud, had a massive fuel leak and never cleaned. But, that is all part of buying used, right? This truck does have an air cleaner, but it looks like it's not been cleaned since it was purchased. In fact, I didn't get any filter oil with it so that has me wondering lmao. If the motor is not locked up, then a simple piston and sleeve will get it running after I fix the starter. It still has the stock tires on it, but they are great for what I have planned.

All in all, I got more (way more) than what I actually paid for them. Once I take them apart and go through them, I will get a parts list together and head up to a local track that I have not been to in quite some time. I know for a fact that I will need 4 glow plugs, an air filter, maybe the starter motor if it's cheap enough, piston and sleeve and maybe some other minor things. And yes, I will more than likely be getting a DX3 as well. These trucks have this weird wire sticking out of the roof. I had to google it to find out it's the old 72MHz radio system, who'd a thunk it...

Stay tuned, there will be much more coming from these trucks, MUCH MORE!

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Finally!! We Are getting somewhere! If not air., I'll take land.. Lol... ;)

Looking great!! Yeah change those tires on that truck,,, hahahahahaaha..

Tony

Staff member
You mean on the Stampede? Yeah, that is almost a must, but I have a plan for those tires, and it's not going to be nice. I wonder if the rears will smoke???

But yeah, I missed running on the ground in 40+ mph winds lmao. Can't fly in that, but you can have one hell of a time with a T-Maxx. Sam, where ya at? I finally got one!!!

RCD

Glencairn Drone
Lol, you said they fly. They are cool though!! I really like that first one!

Tony

Staff member
They will fly. Until gravity brings then back down in a shower of parts lmao. This is going to be fun.

Oh, and as for tires for the Stampede, I have a crapton of tires out in the shop from my old Associated RC10-T3. Man was that a good truck. Or was it from the GT? :thinking:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
You mean on the Stampede? Yeah, that is almost a must, but I have a plan for those tires, and it's not going to be nice. I wonder if the rears will smoke???

But yeah, I missed running on the ground in 40+ mph winds lmao. Can't fly in that, but you can have one hell of a time with a T-Maxx. Sam, where ya at? I finally got one!!!

I'm here that I am! LOL. Well shiver my bones. You finally got one or two! Lol. Let me know how you make out starting them. What size motors are they? 3.3s or what is it 2.5? At least the bodyies look good in the pics anyways. I've got our annual RC show at the mall this weekend. Otherwise I'd get my t max out and play! Lol I hope you can get away with a piston and sleeve. I've got an older e max converted to a single motor. It needs a motor. It's an fm model. If you know anyone interested in it it's got a good radio. I think it's a fataba. May be one of your friends might want the car and you can take the tx.

Tony

Staff member
Actually they are both .15's, the baby motor. But there is upgrade kits for the 2.5, 2.5s, and 3.3. Not sure if I'm going to do it thought. These trucks are a few years old, but in pretty good shape considering. I did pull the head off the Maxx and it's clean inside the motor and it's spinning. It was dry though (meaning no after run oil) so that may be why it's losing so much compression. I will be working on them today and when I get the engine out of the truck, I will be cleaning it, oiling it, and seeing if that fixes all of my problems. If so, then the rebuild cost just got cut in half. All I will need is a new starter motor.

Both of these trucks are FM with the long ass antennas but for what I paid, I don't care lol. They are the factory Traxxas transmitters and I hope they work. One issue with the Maxx is the reverse likes to go out on them all the time. I don't run reverse so I will more than likely get rid of it and get that servo off the chassis.

All in all though, it's looking better.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Cool I did not know they made that small of a motor. Must be way before my time! Lol no wonder it's an fm unit! Lol. I'll take a look when I get home Friday. Like I said I have a good aftermarket tx at home that came with my e max. I'm going to sell the e max so maybe you can talk me into letting you have the tx. Lol

Ps pm or call me if your interested!

Tony

Staff member
I wouldn't be interested in the Tx, I have been spoiled with 2.4 lol. I will be putting both of these on 2.4 if I don't sell them. And more than likely I'm going to sell them. And yes, back in the day when the Maxx first came out, there was no E-Maxx and the .15 was the only engine you could get. The .21 conversion was the big block of the day back then as well. They still run, they just don't have the grunt of the bigger motors. and these are the ones that traxxas said to run upwards of 300ºF. I'm not going to run anywhere near that temp, and I will still get the power out of them. It's time to show how to tune a nitro ground pounder lmao. I missed this smell...

Lee

Dam i thought you were going to get one of those FBL helis before me. Then i could decide which to get :D. I like the look of the second one. I would buy a car if there was a track to race at, but i get bored by myself with cars.

Tony

Staff member
I hear that, and hell no I'm not buying you a FBL heli, the wife won't even let me get one lmao. But it is on my list of things to do. As for not running it unless you have a track, I can understand that. I just want something to best the everloving crap out of. I will more than likely sell the Stampede and keep the T-Maxx once I know the Stampede is a good truck. If it's not good, I'm not selling it to anyone and will toss it in the trash. Even keeping one, it was still worth what I paid :biggrin1:

Tony

Staff member
Took the motor out of the T-Maxx, and found a serious issue. What issue? You will just have to wait for the video :biggrin1:

Tony

Staff member
Trucker? Are we playing letter substitution? hahahaha

Lets just say, I have ordered the part and it should be here Sat or Mon. Then, I will be able to finish the videos.

Tony

Staff member
Alright, after two trips to the LHS and one order from eBay, I have all of the parts rounded up to put the T-Maxx back together. If I can get the M6 swap done in my Camaro, i will finish the video and get it uploaded for you guys.

Once everything is done, I may be selling both trucks if you guys are interested in them. If you are, let me know. first come, first serve. You know they will be setup right. I will also be doing videos on setting the suspension, how to tune the engine, how to adjust shift points, how to rebuild shocks (these have a lot, LOTTTT of air in them). What shock oil weights do to help and hinder the performance, how to setup a slipper clutch and so on. Once you know and practice, it will stick with you.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
PS. Is the club sextion gone? My RC club had our anual mall show this past weekend. I want to post a link to the pics has soon had it's avalibull.

Tony

Staff member
Nah, these don't have enough power to race unless I replace the engine and beef up the CV joints. So, I would rather sell them and move onto another project as if I need anymore lol.

As for the club section, yeah when we cleaned up the forum, they went away. Not deleted, just went away. I will talk with the others about where we can put them. I'm just trying to keep the forum short and clean unlike other forums I Have seen that take an hour to scroll to the bottom, and almost impossible to find info.

Top Bottom