Rch flight log

Stambo

At half throttle on my friends AXN with a 2200mah pack, we get about 18mins.

It may be because I am flying really mildly at this stage but it looks like closer to 30 mins for me on 1800mah.
I have yet to do a loop or roll and my throttle has forgotten about anything over half. :)
This "wings" thing is all new to me, everything I have been flying until recently has had rotors. :)

Last edited:

Stambo

Winter is upon us here in New Zealand so flight days are few and far between.
With the rain and wind we are getting I am getting frustrated.
The sim and my tiny quads are getting a bit of a hammering.
I really want to get a few more flights under my belt on my new plane.
I managed to put the AXN up after work last night, bad idea. :)
The wind at ground level was fairly mild so I thought I would give it a go.
As soon as I got some altitude it was all over the place, really made for an exciting but very short flight.
I made 3 or 4 scary attempts at a landing before finally getting it on the ground, in one piece to my relief.
The second most exciting (or scary) flight I have had. :)
Scariest one was a certain FPV quad flight under similar conditions. Why don't we learn. :)

Sorry, no video, light conditions with my current camera would have made it a waste of time.

pvolcko

Well, this was my extended family's annual trip into town for a visit from Iowa. It was great seeing them all again (minus one, but we won't hold that against her, this time).

I flew a couple times to show off the larger helis. I flew my 300X for them last year's visit. Was just getting into the flips and rolls and well controlled circuit flights. Had a small area to work with because I wasn't willing to fly out over the marsh land and creek in front of the camp grounds.

This time I brought up the 550X and the Gob 500. One flight each. Over the creek and marsh/grassland in front of the place so I had some room to do some big air (still not enough to comfortably do any speed runs). No crashes! :) Nice controlled rainbows high up and pretty low (10 ft above the "hay"). Low, slow loops forward and backward and even an inverted forward loop. Some big fast backward upright loops coming straight in and blade farting all the way up the climb. train of ail roll hops (series of small rainbows one direction across and then back again). Half piro flips slow and fast. High tail slide. A long diagonal backward rainbow with a lot of positive (inverted) collective coming in toward the weeds. Got my dad to say "uh oh" before I stopped it about 5 ft off the weeds and then did a slow smooth forward half flip to upright again.

Explained how the helis worked to two cousins before the second flight. Need to bone up on the physics behind gyroscopic precession. I fumbled through it but need to be able to more clearly explain it.

Felt good, both to not crash while showing off a bit for the fam (particularly into the creek) and to be able to explain things and get some praise for my improvement from some that had seen the flying from last year vs this year.

Next year, inverted weed cutting. :)

Slobberdog

Well Mother Nature was not to bad tonight, but the football boys on the pitch meant I had to have two batteries in the hall, and then once they had gone I got to fly two batteries outside,

The two in the hall were very timid, as this was the spot where I had the incident last week, and the two outside were good apart from the first battery where I got low balled by my lvc 60ft in the air with a sudden loss of power and the esc pulsing, thankfully I did not panic too much and got it down quick with plenty of neg pitch and a sum what sort of semi powered auto, when I got it in and checked I only had 3.2 v per cell, just chevon pack on charger and it seems ok on IR and is ok on balance, must not have had full charge in it before I started,

Pack four for the night was great, turned up tail piro rate to what I thought would be full and like what I was used to but put a piro on and could not see the tail as it was way to fast, so found that 600 out of 1000 or 60% is good and blooming quick for me,

Got self level tuned in pretty well, may just need a bit of fettling on a calm day, but it's close enough for it to get me out of trouble if needed, fingers crossed I won't!!!!

The feel and precise ness of this Brain is freaking unbelievable to me, I love the way it feels and behaves, doing fast fig 8's earlier and did not get any side slip like I used to get with the 3gx, makes me think why I did not go to the dark side before, up up and beyond, let the fun continue..........

cml001

I'm late.. Haven't posted in here in awhile.. I'm stupid. Lol.. Anyhow.. Got a couple packs in on the 450 & the 550 today on my way home from work. The 450 was as solid as ever.. Had a blast.. A close call or two.. The 550... Freak'n awesome! I NEED MORE PACKS! The iKon is a very sweet gyro. I'm still tweak'n it to my liking and learning it.. Small changes and the need for the laptop to program is a thorn in my side as I've never need a computer for rc before. But it's almost there. Once I get it right I'll activate the self level.. Saving it for last. I really didn't think I would like the "banks".. But I gotta say it's nice to have a easy stable flight.. And when u feel it.. Have the ability to flick to another bank and throw like u know it! Yeah I'm liking that a lot.. Surprised me. Today was the first day I started throw'n her around a bit.. I don't know if "floaty" is the word.. But compared to the 450.. She doesn't fall outta the sky as fast.. She.. She floats.. I dig it! I am keeping an eye out for something tho.. I don't know if there is a gain I need to adjust or if I was just too hard & too much.. Not clean with it.. But it kinda blew out one time.. Came across field and pulled up a bit passed vertical and went from pos to neg punch while piro'n a few times round and stoping at nose down to pos and return back across field.. In the middle of it.. She blew out a little.. Not major but enough to pucker the hole if ya know what I'm say'n. All in all tho.. I love a big bird! It's so much smoother than the 450.. And the 450 is butter.. Can't wait to burn some more packs tomorrow after work!

Stambo

Had a neighbour from down the road a little ask if I saw all the lights flying around last night near my place.
I denied all knowledge of it and as he walked away muttering something about not reporting UFOs because he didn't want to be thought of as crazy I just smiled.
It's 7pm, dark outside and I am going out to fly my night quad again. :)

danhampson

ive just got back from one of the fields i fly, i took the wot 4 for a blast out. I had forgotten that the field has tall grass apart for a very small section.

So there were a few firsts for me tonight. It started with hand launching the wot 4, I got it in me left hand raised the throttle to about 60-70% while i had my outer hand on the elev/ail stick, and gave her a gentle throw and gave some up elev she dipped a bit by this time i had my other hand on the tx gave some more throttle and she was airbourne, i found it alot easier than i had expected. The first of my three packs were spent practicing curcuits concerntrating on trying to keep a steady altitude (i tend to gain during the turn).

second pack i did some curcuits and plucked up th courage to try a loop (ive been reading the thread Stambo started in the plane beginners section), i got to straight and level flight with my throttle at 100% and pulled back on the elev as she came inverted i reduced the throttle to around 25% untill the nose was at 45° to the ground (right side up) and then increased the throttle back up to around 75%. it wasnt the cleanest loop in the world but its a start. I used the rest of the pack up looping left to right, and right to left.

third pack i started with a few more loops and was getting comfortable with them so decieded to hold her inverted at the top of the loop for a while with around 70-75% throttle, keeping her flying straight and level with some slight down elev input to keep the nose from pointing towards the ground to exit inverted i just finished the loop off. Then while travelling back up the field tried a roll, again it was dirty but a first i tried rolls for the remeinder of the pack and worked out that i needed that slight elev input at the point she was inverted to keep the roll tight and neat.

Im really getting into fixed wing, and cant wait to finish my RCH Edge 540 build so that i can get a bit more daring without having to worry about crash costs as such.

Tony

Staff member
If you want that perfect roll, you need to practice putting not only elevator in there when it's inverted, but also rudder when it's sideways. Yup, it's hard as hell to learn. I can't seem to pick up on it, but there is a guy that is a member here, I think his name is Tom, dude is sick with teh sticks. I will see if I can find a video of his. ,

Stambo

second pack i did some curcuits and plucked up th courage to try a loop (ive been reading the thread Stambo started in the plane beginners section), i got to straight and level flight with my throttle at 100% and pulled back on the elev as she came inverted i reduced the throttle to around 25% untill the nose was at 45° to the ground (right side up) and then increased the throttle back up to around 75%. it wasnt the cleanest loop in the world but its a start. I used the rest of the pack up looping left to right, and right to left.

third pack i started with a few more loops and was getting comfortable with them so decieded to hold her inverted at the top of the loop for a while with around 70-75% throttle, keeping her flying straight and level with some slight down elev input to keep the nose from pointing towards the ground to exit inverted i just finished the loop off. Then while travelling back up the field tried a roll, again it was dirty but a first i tried rolls for the remeinder of the pack and worked out that i needed that slight elev input at the point she was inverted to keep the roll tight and neat.

Dan, "Video or it didn't happen". :p :biggrin1:
Holding inverted for a while will be my next step too, when this rain and wind lets up for long enough.
Then I will give the rolls a go. :)
But I will video mine. :p

danhampson

awesome pilot. thanks again Tony you can see the little flick of rudder while the plane is knife edge. Thats something you just dont get on the sim.

The usb port on my camera broke today and my spare camera was flat, I will defo get video next time i fly.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Like I said though, I have practiced this for hours and hours, and I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I'm fine in a knife edge, but when it's constant rolls, or as he was doing, harrier rolls, I just can't seem to time the rudder correctly. I have watched his sticks on the sim as well, and just can't put it together. Oh well, I will stick with sport flying lmao.

cml001

Stop'd on the way home again to bang the 550 around... I'm absolutely in love with this thing... Is sooo easy to fly.. Ridiculous! Practiced backward flight.. Circuits are soo smooth.. U get those "hey buddy, more stick!" Or "wrong way A hole!".. But it's so easy to correct.. I don't feel the time crunch on my thumbs.. It's just relaxing.. It's awesome that's what it is!

dwmoore

Flew two batteries in the 450 this morning while some friends who are visiting watched. Starting to feel like a heli pilot, not just hovering and moving around 10 feet off the ground. Had the bird up to 70 or 80 feet and a good 100 yards away, made some coordinated turns, nose in approach descents. Managed to scare myself silly with some wild over corrections couple times, but NO CRASHES!! V5 seems to be working well in 3GX, I get a little tail wag for a couple seconds just once in a while. While cruising kinda slow at high altitude, some birds cruised past and I thought..."NNOOO! Mid air collision not in the plan!". Made a descent, hovered, and practiced setting 'er down gently. Great way to start the day, gonna try to do the same tomorrow!

EyeStation

Been spending some quality time with The Parkers. Today the Cub joined us after a mod to accept the 250 mAh batteries from the old mCPx brushed heli.
Dodging raindrops for about 35 minutes then I heard the rain hitting the farmers crop in the field to the south.
The Parkers.jpg

If you did not see the upload from Friday, here's a cockpit view flight of the Inverza 280.

[video=youtube_share;lqZrBL32ZI4]http://youtu.be/lqZrBL32ZI4[/video]

The Parkers.jpg

Last edited:

cml001

Been fly'n the 550 daily.. Several times a day on my off days.. After work on the days I do... Love'n a bigger bird.. Neglecting the 450 till today.. Such a different feel.. The 550 is way more comfortable.. No ? Bout it!.. Got some video today but a horrible one.. I was standing in an ant bed.. U kno how it goes.. Can't look down to see what's get'n ya.. But u don't wanna land.. All in all the mount I mad of foam board for my iPhone/hat cam worked ok tho so I'll get some video soon.. Love this hobby.. Hung out at the hobby shop too, then skated for a couple hours.. Beer & chess.. Great day!

Top Bottom