Trucks T-Maxx 3.3 Help

Drew34

Hello all,
Im a new member and also a newer r/c owner of a used 3.3 4909? t maxx owner. I bought off craigslist for $150 non running. The guy said it was just running before i met him and when i met him we tried to start to no avail. although it did pop off and tried too twice very briefly it didnt start. the ez start battery died and i assumed i could get it running. ( a little background on me i owned a t maxx .15 around 2000 or so and had it for about 6 monthes and it was stolen along with a car i used to own a nice 87 monte carlo ss mint--long story anyway still painfull) so anyway i do have some experience and i never got back into it untill now and heres the thing:

When i got it home i noticed the clutch was sticking partly out of the cluch bell so i apart and it was broke and fried, did some research and understood it was engaged and that may be why it wasnt starting. (ordered and replaced)

still nothing no fire no pop no nothing.

He had some spare glow plugs in the box i tried a few different ones they seem to glow fine when i ground them out on the block, also am getting plenty of fuel, reset needles to factory 4 or so out on hsn and flush with low speed, and idle screw idk where its set but dnt think that matters to start. carb is adjusted approx 1mm open.

So Fuel, spark, air, hmm.. only thing left is maybe compresion? i couldnt understand how he had it almost firing and when i got it nothing. ive tried everything. Also after whatching TONY's VIDEOS on you tube(thats why im here now) which were great by the way, i tore down the engine i would say half way. I tookk head off cleaned a lil, took back plate off and cleaned a little everything in motor seem intact nothing cracked working smoothly. Seems to have compression with glow plug in, when i turn by hand makes thunk noise.

Also one way bearing locks in turns motor over fine. and one thing i did notice when i took of easy start by the one way bearing it was noticiably wet in there, dont no why is that rear bearing leaking fuel,oil? that shudnt keep it from firing thought would it?

Last thing i dont no how old it is, i beleive it ha the grey transmission and it has a reverse servo with old 27mghz radio. so 4909 maybe 3-4yrs old? so the thing is, the easy start battery doesnt last long at all and im thinking the glow plug isnt getting hot enuff, maybe old fuel?

I am stumped i tried everything i think i can do for now. I almost bought a new motor yesterday, however, not gonna give up untill i no for sure what it is. i also just ordered 100$ worth of parts(new 2070 servo steering-hump pack battery,new style tuned pipe chrome,replacement bulkhead and bumper,shock oil, air filter oil, and body pins,) so now i got about 250 into it and if i do need a motor not going be very happy because then ill have about 350-380 into it. grrrr. could have gotten something near new. oh well either way with tony's videos eventhough its a for .15 i will be able to deconstruct and clean and make look new.

SORRY SO MUCH TEXT. I DID ALL THE RESEARCH ON MY OWN AND GOT AS FAR AS I COULD BEFORE REACHING OUT. LIKE I SAID I AM STUMPED IT DONT MAKE SENSE. PLEASE HELP AND THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.

ANDREW
DEER RIVER, MINNESOTA

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
That is pretty much exactly what I went through on the .15 I had. What you guys didn't see was me fighting this thing for hours. I would try to start it thinking it was the carb, or something, run the battery down, charge it back up, and do it all over again. The glow plug was testing good on mine, but the glow plug was the issue. when you looked at it, it would glow, and the motor would fire as long as you were holding that button.

Remember, the internal combustion engine only needs 3 things to run. Fuel, Fire, and Compression. The first and most expensive to fix is Compression. But, if you have the glow plug in there and the motor kinda "pops" over on the compression stroke, then it's fine. If when you try to start it you see fuel being sucked through the fuel line into the carb, then there is a good chance it's not fuel. This would only leave fire, the glow plug.

If the glow plug you used was not new, go get a new one. They are $7 or so, but it's worth it to get the truck running. That is one heck of a deal on that truck, and I know it will run. Don't buy an engine if this one still has compression. Even if the compression is shot, you can just put a piston and sleeve in there and renew that engine.

Let me know what the glow plug does and we will go from there.

Drew34

kinda what i thought hes got like 5 plugs in the tackle box but shoot they may all be bad, and also i dont think the ez start is getting them hot enough? going to buy a rechargeable glow plug igniter and new plug that shud do it, fingers crossed.lol

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
What tiny said! Get a few new plugs to have on hand. If they were just loose in a box, there used and no good. But if you have compression fuel and glow then it should fire. Check the idle speed. Take the air filter off. Take a regular size paper clip. Carefully so you don't scratch anything place it down the carb and adjust the idle screw till the paper clip fits inside the throat. That will give you a rough adjustment for your idle speed then adjust after she's running and warmed up.

Tony

Staff member
If that wire is bad, or the board is bad dropping down the voltage for the plug, then I would agree on exactly what you said. Get a brand new glow plug, and a new igniter. That will rule out the "fire" part of this for sure. And if you have the cash, get the glow igniter with the gauge on it. Then, you will see if the plug is bad, or getting old. Good luck and let me know. It's time to go look at a new P-51D Mustang a guy is selling. Yay, getting a warbird finally hahaha.

Drew34

If that wire is bad, or the board is bad dropping down the voltage for the plug, then I would agree on exactly what you said. Get a brand new glow plug, and a new igniter. That will rule out the "fire" part of this for sure. And if you have the cash, get the glow igniter with the gauge on it. Then, you will see if the plug is bad, or getting old. Good luck and let me know. It's time to go look at a new P-51D Mustang a guy is selling. Yay, getting a warbird finally hahaha.

thanks again guys, ill let u know how it goes. order plugs n igniter off ebay tmr hopefully have soething thursday or so.

Drew34

ok guys got it to fire finally. However, dont think it was a glow plug issue. Also, took apart entire engine,, piston wont even slide close to top of sleeve the compression is great. so after re-assembly i tried to start as normal with new glow plug and ignitor and no luck so i said hell, dumped fuel right in carb and held it open and finally got it to fire. and also run for about 3 seconds. cant get anything stable, matter of fact cant get it running period! i------------before read next think what it cud be.------------------------------------------------the guy i bought from said he rebuilt carb cuz he stripped out the high spd needle for some reason or another. but from what i can see the carb is workin its getting fuel i dont no im *language removed* i spent alot of money and dont wanna buy another engine and maybe carb grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, sorry for angry language im sure u guys can relate rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. i thought i had er today she ran for about 20 ft. cudnt get it to idle or nuthin just fire and balls to the wall lol. grrrr oh well 100 buck or so done deal

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Drew, I understand your frustration, but please do not use that language on this site. Don't go around the filters like that. I give two strikes on here being this is a family site. This is the warning, please don't do it again, thanks.

With that being said, you need to take the carb apart and check the high speed needle. the high speed is what feeds fuel to the engine. Take an air compressor and blow it out in reverse of how the fuel flows. I'm almost sure there is some trash in there somewhere. You got it to fire with straight fuel, so there is something clogging it. Make sure to blow out the lines and tank as well. Hope this works out for you.

Top Bottom