450 Vertical tail fin too short! Any mods please???

RandyDSok

Blade ... unrelated servo talk aside... but back on subject before this gets off track too much

Any progress on what you are going to do for that tail fin? You mentioned when you moved the mounting holes, the original was too flimsy. This just got me trying to think in the replacement direction instead but was uncertain what would be the best material to use. I felt thin plywood would crack on the first decent blow. Aluminum would be prone to being bent. A fiberglass board may work but may be too heavy. A carbon fiber sheet may work if not too expensive.

If considering something like that... Take the original off and trace it out on a piece of paper... perhaps make a few copies. Then hand draw some ideas of how you would want to extended to look. Pick one of your designs and some soft glue to glue it to the side of the material you choose. Use a coping saw to cut out the design. For any interior holes, you drill a hole out, thread the saw blade through and then saw it out.

I know it's more of a general direction, but it is just another idea to consider.

Blade 400

Blade ... unrelated servo talk aside... but back on subject before this gets off track too much

Any progress on what you are going to do for that tail fin? You mentioned when you moved the mounting holes, the original was too flimsy. This just got me trying to think in the replacement direction instead but was uncertain what would be the best material to use. I felt thin plywood would crack on the first decent blow. Aluminum would be prone to being bent. A fiberglass board may work but may be too heavy. A carbon fiber sheet may work if not too expensive.

If considering something like that... Take the original off and trace it out on a piece of paper... perhaps make a few copies. Then hand draw some ideas of how you would want to extended to look. Pick one of your designs and some soft glue to glue it to the side of the material you choose. Use a coping saw to cut out the design. For any interior holes, you drill a hole out, thread the saw blade through and then saw it out.

I know it's more of a general direction, but it is just another idea to consider.
Thanks so much Randy, I`ll go with your suggestion if modifying the existing fin doesn`t work out.
I`m going to drill a couple of holes to move the existing fin down, I should get 15mm extra and I already took Geena`s previous advice to put a small packer between the back of the skids and the main frame which has raised the tail (the boom is angled up now) She also, advised me to take a 1 metre square rug to the field, that I can roll up and keep in the car for take off and landings :thumbsup:

Top Bottom