#11 Keychain Camera (I finally got one lol)

Tony

Staff member
Hey everyone. Well, I told you that when I got my new camera, I would be posting it up here with a little video. Well, out of the whole year, when I get my camera it decides to rain, A LOT! So, I decided this would be a good time to test out the lower light levels of the camera.

Some of you know, I purchased two of these from a seller, and never got them. They flat screwed me, and a lot of other people over, and I'm in the process of getting them kicked off eBay so this doesn't happen to anyone else. It's been a different story with every email.

However, the eBay seller eletoponline365 Shipped the order the same day, and it came very well packaged. The camera was even sealed in an Anti-Static bag like a HDD would be. They also shipped the camera USPS mail from China. Did it take a while, yup, but it was worth it for free shipping. Now, I did pay $39 for this camera, that is a lot more than the $22 I paid for the other ones, but I actually got this one lol. So, click on the sellers name up there, and purchase one. You will get it.

Here is a little sample video. Be sure to watch it in 720P as that is the naitive resolution of the video. There is some compression with the mpg4 coding, but it's not bad at all. The only thing that I don't like is how it dims everything when it hits the sky. If this had an iris control on it, man this would be perfect.

Let me know what you think about this. Also notice that there is no flickering of the time and date. I know that some of you will say it's the memory card, but this is the exact same card that I used in my glasses, at a lower resolution and data rate, and the picture would hang up, the date and time would flicker, and the sound was crap to say the least. On this one, it's perfect. Can't wait for a sunny day!

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HNSYPpTzwYw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HNSYPpTzwYw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
The video looks pretty good Tony. I wouldn't worry too much about the historgram changing throughout the video (darkening while looking at the sky) ... almost any video recorder is going to do the same thing. Especially since you aluded to it being darker out due to the rain clouds and such. I've got another idea for you, just keep it panned down towards the ground and don't fly too high :chuckles: That little #11 should be great attached to the heli itself. I think you'll get some great video out of it :biggrin1:

Tony

Staff member
I know that I will get some good video out of it. I'm giong to have to make a mount for each helicopter though. I put it on the 250 and unlike the #3 that put waves in the video, this one just blurs the video with vibration. So, I'm going to have to design a mount that will work with all of the helicopters. sounds like a fun challenge lol.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
If you come up with a mount that doesn't vibrate you'll have to share it with us. Looks good from first shots, hurry up and get us some flying stuff.

Tony

Staff member
I am about to do something really stupid that could cost me my camera if it's one of the old versions. Let's see if we can get rid of that darn time stamp... Cross your fingers that I don't Brick this thing. If I come back cussing, then it bricked and I'm out $40. If I post a video, then it worked like a charm hehe......

Ron RC

Hey Tony, glad you got it. Wonder what the total time was from order date to delivery date. I ask because I just ordered mine. Glad I got my money back on that first deal, but I know for sure this seller is straight up. BTW hope you don't brick it, but guys have been having good luck with the later ones delivered with removing the time stamp. Let us know and let me know how long it took. TIA

Ron

Tony

Staff member
Ron, I just checked, and I ordered on 05/09/11 and it was at my house on 05/19/11, so 10 days. As for the time removal.....

Tony

Staff member
Firmware Update Version 2

Hey guys and gals. Well, I decided to take a chance and see if I could remove the time on my camera that I JUST GOT! I have not even taken any real video with it, yet here I am going to take a chance on bricking it. As some of you know, the older versions of the #11 can not be updated without bricking them, and they will not work anymore. Well, I got lucky and I have one of the later versions. Well, not really a lucky, cause they are all the "later version" that you get now lol. So, I was able to remove the date and time stamp on my camera. It's about friggin time lol.

With the update, it will not only allow you to 1. remove the time, 2. remove the time and allow continuouse recording (usually stops at 20 minutes, then saves and records again) and there is also a file to restore the time. Well, one of the things I really like about the new Version 2 update, is it updates the contrast settings. I think it makes everything look a lot better, and I did't notice as much of a color change going from sky to ground. So, this will work a lot better for flying around with a camera.

There are instructions in the zip files on how to do this, but it's really simple. You download the file, install the file to the root of the directory (do not change the file name), turn off the camera then unplug it from the USB cable. Wait a couple seconds, and push the power button for a second. They say it will take about 5-10 seconds for it to light up like it should, but it took 17 seconds on my camera. I took it straight outside, and I recorded the video that is below. I also put in there the before video so you can compare. Now, it was darker on the new video than the old, but I think it did a great job even in low light. It looks a lot brighter than it really was.

So, if you buy from the seller that I have linked in the first post, you should get the latest camera and you can get rid of the time and have better contrast. I will do it again when I get another camera. If you have any questions, just let me know. It took 10 days for this to arrive, and I have to say its some of the best packaging I have ever seen! If you are wanting one of these, I highly suggest the seller that I linked to in the first post of this thread.

Be sure to watch this video in 720P!
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6aFE-6Hzh2c?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6aFE-6Hzh2c?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Tony

Staff member
Might give mine a go... I like how it removes cows as well.....

The cows was done with smoke and mirrors hahaha

Look forward to seeing full quality footage in good light to compare.

You and I both man. I found out that I can put the camera on my hat with a rubber band, and where the rubber band goes across my face, is exactly where the camera is looking. So, it's kinda like having sights hahaha

Tony

Staff member
I have actually never went cow tipping. Way too much mud. And yes, I hate off roading too lol. That is why I drive a camaro.

Tony

Staff member
Well guys, I have found a problem with the #11 Keychain Camera. For two different days on my way to work, I sat the camera on the dash of my car so get some video, and both times, it did not record. The first day, I thought "well maybe I didnt' get it started correctly". But the second day, I knew that I did, so I did some testing.

For some reason, the HD cam likes to get hot. Hot enough that if you are in 90*F weather, it will overheat and shut down. Now, this is better than it frying it's self, but still sucks. It was cloudy on the second day, but it still over heated. So, I'm hoping for a calm day so that I can test it on my helicopters. If the wind, and it being mounted below the heli doesn't work, then I'm going to have to try something else. And yes, I have something else in mind to fix this issue. Just have to figure things out first.

So stay tuned to see what happens.

Ghostflyer1

You didnt know????? Tony uses the cows to simulate carrier landings with his 450..... lands right on the backs of those sucker :D

Tony

Staff member
Update:

I am not that happy with this camera. If you are out in 90* weather, the camera will overheat and shut off after about 2 minutes. And no it will not save the video file before it does it. This is a major flaw, and I'm looking for a solution. I think I'm going to cut a hole in the case, and install a heat sink to see what happens. I will let you know if I find anything else out.

Top Bottom