2024-10 Comet Tsuchinshan-Atlas

RandyDSok

Here are a couple of shots that I've gotten of Comet Tsuchinshan-Atlas. One I took on the 13th and the other the 14th.

This one didn't get as bright as I ( and many others ) was hoping for. I ended up using my camera to finally locate it in the sky since it was just barely a naked eye object. By barely I mean I didn't see it but my neighbors young teen daughter said she could just make it out. The comet is located in the WSW portion of the sky and will likely dim over the next few nights that it is visible. Last night it was almost dead center between Venus and Arcturus. I started looking for it around 7:30pm. Venus should be hard to miss in the SW portion of the sky, Arcturus which is a orange/red star, should start showing up next just north of directly west. The comet will start showing just a little later but will be slightly higher than dead center between those two ( Venus and Arcturus ).

As I mentioned, I used my camera to get the final location of the comet then I pointed my binoculars at it once I got it located. I know some smartphones can also capture it if they can take decent low light pics. A tripod should be used when taking a pic... my shots were between 3 seconds and 13 seconds long depending on how dark it was.

2024-10-13 DSC_4829 Comet Tsuchinshan-Atlas.jpg

2024-10-14 DSC_4873 Comet Tsuchinshan-Atlas.jpg

RandyDSok

Here is a star map for tonight at around 7:30pm. How close to the horizon for your location will depend on your latitude but this should get you close and you can adjust based on the locations of Venus and Arcturus in your sky.

Comet_2024-10-15.jpg

Top Bottom