A question about pinions?

murankar

Staff member
I have stated before about how a bigger pinion provides more torque. I am wondering if my 14T pinion on this new motor is causing to much torque and causing my motor to work to hard? I also wonder if the torque is causing the motor to pull higher amps there by making the motor hot. Just some thought, I am ordering a 13T on Wednesday along with my last bunch of goodies.

I had the original 13T pinion that cam with the EXI but that got hosed when I over tightened the set screw.

Tony

Staff member
Actually, the smaller the pinion, the more torque. The larger the pinion, the more top speed. And yes, larger pinions will require more amps to spin the same mass.

Tony

Staff member
That is correct. Also, lowering your head speed and making sure there is no binding in the head will also help.

murankar

Staff member
Right now the pinion is as loose as I could get it with out being to loose. I got the tiny amount of play in the main gear, the bearings are all oiled up and the main shaft spins freely. the last time I took it apart I oiled everything to ensure smooth operation.

Lee

Whats the KV of your motor? Even 13T is big. Unless you are doing hard 3D 12 or even 11T is fine. I had 11T on both my 450s with 3700KV motors and they flew great. Never got hot and gave me a lot longer flight times.

Lee

Ok so 11/12T will be fine. 11 will give you more flight time, 12 will give you a bit more pop. HS will be just under 3000rpm with 11 and just over with 12.

murankar

Staff member
Thanks guys for the help.

Well I got my grocery list made and ready to go. I am going to order an 11T and a 12T just so I can upgrade later if I want.

Tony

Staff member
I suggest the 11 as well. Very easy on the motor and it will not bog down as much when you are doing hard pitch pumps.

murankar

Staff member
I will start on the 11T and have the 12T for when I want to start to get the skill to jump up. It will be a field box filler till then and I know it will be there when I want to have the upgrade and wont have to bug the wife for a $7 part. Each pack I found comes with 2 pinions so I should be set for a long time and they are the Align pinions so they should last for a while.

It's time for work and I will be on and off all day with the mobile! Have a great day/night!

Thank you Tony and Lee!

Tony

Staff member
Our pleasure. I will be on here all night as well. Oh what fun sitting in the dark at an army base lmao.

murankar

Staff member
Well I just got word I am working night shift this week also. I start tonight and I need to get more sleep so I can make it through the night.

Top Bottom